94 7.3 idi turbo lots of white smoke and hard to start

94turboidi7.3

Reaction score
Ok so I bought this truck over the weekend the guy I bought it from said it needed New glow plugs and that was why it was smoking and hard to start. So I went out and got the glow plugs and changed them out, after that it started a little easier but was still smoking like crazy, so i went ahead and put new injectors in it thinking they might be dropping or something and since I had already come this far I went ahead and put new return line kit on it and now it's even harder to start and still smokes white

olesmokey

Reaction score
I wish I could help but My situation is exactly the same ! I replaced the same items and now playing with the timing but still smoking !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olesmokey

Reaction score
I'm thinking either air intrusion or worn out injection pump ?

94turboidi7.3

Reaction score
I thought about the injection pump but was hoping it might be something a little easier that maybe I was overlooking

olesmokey

Reaction score
I also replaced the fuel pump and fuel line to the pump and return line to the tank

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs, glow plug controller, also make sure the two yellow wires on the passenger side are in good shape. They are the power source for the glow plug controller.

94turboidi7.3

Reaction score
It smokes a little while it's running and a lot when it first fires up. I got injectors and return kit from oreillys, they are g code injectors

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Try plugging it in for awhile then firing it up, White smoke is a sign of unburned fuel.

read that thread I posted it has a lot of things listed that could cause a problem like the one you have

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand of glow plugs? Have you TESTED the manual GP circuit, including the voltage loss across the relay terminals?

94turboidi7.3

Reaction score
I read that post but it seems like his smoke clears up after it warms up while mine keeps smoking, just not as bad when it's warm

94turboidi7.3

Reaction score
I got the motorcade very glow plugs and I don't know how to check the voltage loss.

this is my first diesel I'm used to working on gas motors

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to both you new fellas.

PLEASE READ FAQ and tech sections, USE SEARCH here all of this is covered thoroughly in many many threads.

DON"T buy parts without first reading the HALL of Shame section. Also buying parts willy nilly to solve issues you are not familiar with won't help. Throwing parts at problems does not solve them, diagnosis is key.

Again welcome to OB.