93 F350 glow plug issue

sweet66monza

Reaction score
im really really really getting tired iof this POS. NO problems the first five and a half yrs of ownership, and the last three months have been hell. Almost ready to go buy the neighbors Powersmoke...

Everything with the glow plugs has always been working as it should. Last night I went to leave the GFs house and the WTS light stayed on for about 15 sec (twice as long as normal), no clicking or signs of the voltmeter moving, and then the light shut off. Thats it.

I have approx.12v to the large post on the relay with the red wire going to it with the key on. I dont want to throw $100 worth of parts at it just to find out its somethin else. I swapped out the relay abd the control box with another one today and that didnt change anything

WHere should I start?

Thanks in advance!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the engine main wire harness plug for corrosion on the 2 yellow wires that feed power to the controller. Thats a very bad point that gets really hot due to corrosion. Heat builds up enough to melt the plastic plug. I just bypassed the plug and ran a 4 gauge speaker wire directly from the fender solenoid to the glow plug relay.. Now it has all the power and amps it can use. Goin thru that tiny plug connecter pin is a poor way to send power to the controller. But Ford knew 2 smalll wires are cheaper than one large wire. Be careful worksing on this wire. Its electrically hot all the time...

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the voltage at the glow plugs when they are cycling. This will tell you if you are getting voltage through the solenoid to heat the plugs.

sweet66monza

Reaction score
I checked everything you recommended and all was ok. Decided to bite the bullet and buy a new controller. Turns out my "good known unit" was shot.

You guys are awesome! Thanks again!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's all good....

Looks like a good load of hay on that truck which I suspect is a workhorse for you...

Never worry...the brotherhood is here to help when ever we can.

Al

sweet66monza

Reaction score
It actually gets 90% of its use empty as my daily driver. But when I need it, its there. I am always buying and selling parts cars and projects and haulin hay for the sister's horses, and whatever my bonehead honda drivin friends need a "real truck" haha

My grandpa bought it in '96 as a SRW F250. He did the fladbed and installed dually adapters. A couple yrs ago I parted out a F350 for the d60 and 1 ton overloads, etc. the d60 swap was by far the best thing ive ever done to the truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online