92 f350 idi turbo question

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
hi guys , I am new to this site. I was just starting to participate and find into on the bombers site when I was told there was more info and idi guys here. I have looked for some time to find a site like this one and bombers with no luck until two days ago. I have read alot of useful info already on both sites that would have come in handy over the past few years! here is what I am working on. I own an '92 f350 crew cab long box 4x4 with the 7.3 na with 230k miles on it 3.73 rear end gears with the zf 5s speed manual aluminum tranny. I put 130k miles on it myself in the last 10 years but for the last 4 years only about 3500 - 4k a year on it. I only pull my enclosed trailer with it now, to the dunes and back 2 - 3 times a year. I really like the truck it is all original and paid for. it needs just a little more power to maintain 75 mph with a 6500lb load with a 15 mph cross wind in 5th gear. I recently purchased a used banks sidewinder turbo kit I have been considering selling it and buying an '01 powerstroke to do the job but they aren't cheap. the one I saw has 189k crew cab power all inside for $12k but I don't want a truck payment for 4k miles a year!

I do know another guy that has one bolted to a '87 with a 6.9 he won't part it out and wants $1,100 for the sidewinder kit, the tranny went out 5 years ago and he parked it.

can anyone send or post me a link on this site of a build log so I can see what I'm up against on installing mine?

the used one I bought isn't complete, I don't have the collector pipe connecting the manifolds to the turbo and banks does sell them new but I was wondering if set off a factory turbo 7.3 would work? here is a pic of what I bought, it doesn't have a banks turbo instead the casting on the turbo say roto master anyone heard of them? the turbo is clean and looks fairly new. what I have is what you see in the pic.

I already had 3" exhaust installed on the truck last oct. the inj pump is 2 years old and last year I had a new clutch installed (after market) last oct I also installed a new radiator ( 3 tube high efficiency), water pump, thermostat and fan clutch. I was having a heat issue that turned out to be the radiator, it was plugged right down the middle. thanks for any and all info!!

Attachments

• DSCN2357.jpg
    DSCN2357.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN2359.jpg
    DSCN2359.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 20

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Hey, glad to see you made it over. Dont worry about the turbo having a different name on it. Banks got the turbo from someone else and put it in a kit. My ATS setup has a garrett turbo.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
What You have there is a 1st gen Banks Kit. The non-gated turbo, and big box.

I seriously doubt You could get a PSD, or a factory idiT up pipe to work with it. Different turbo, mounts, etc. Any chance the person You bought it from could get You the original up, and down pipes???

Last edited:

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
hi guys , I am new to this site. I was just starting to participate and find into on the bombers site when I was told there was more info and idi guys here. I have looked for some time to find a site like this one and bombers with no luck until two days ago. I have read alot of useful info already on both sites that would have come in handy over the past few years! here is what I am working on. I own an '92 f350 crew cab long box 4x4 with the 7.3 na with 230k miles on it 3.73 rear end gears with the zf 5s speed manual aluminum tranny. I put 130k miles on it myself in the last 10 years but for the last 4 years only about 3500 - 4k a year on it. I only pull my enclosed trailer with it now, to the dunes and back 2 - 3 times a year. I really like the truck it is all original and paid for. it needs just a little more power to maintain 75 mph with a 6500lb load with a 15 mph cross wind in 5th gear. I recently purchased a used banks sidewinder turbo kit I have been considering selling it and buying an '01 powerstroke to do the job but they aren't cheap. the one I saw has 189k crew cab power all inside for $12k but I don't want a truck payment for 4k miles a year!

I do know another guy that has one bolted to a '87 with a 6.9 he won't part it out and wants $1,100 for the sidewinder kit, the tranny went out 5 years ago and he parked it.

can anyone send or post me a link on this site of a build log so I can see what I'm up against on installing mine?

the used one I bought isn't complete, I don't have the collector pipe connecting the manifolds to the turbo and banks does sell them new but I was wondering if set off a factory turbo 7.3 would work? here is a pic of what I bought, it doesn't have a banks turbo instead the casting on the turbo say roto master anyone heard of them? the turbo is clean and looks fairly new. what I have is what you see in the pic.

I already had 3" exhaust installed on the truck last oct. the inj pump is 2 years old and last year I had a new clutch installed (after market) last oct I also installed a new radiator ( 3 tube high efficiency), water pump, thermostat and fan clutch. I was having a heat issue that turned out to be the radiator, it was plugged right down the middle. thanks for any and all info!!

If you need the original installation manual and parts list, send me a PM with your e-mail address. I have it in PDF but it's too large of a file to post here.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to rapidshare.com if you want to post a big file.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
Hey, glad to see you made it over. Dont worry about the turbo having a different name on it. Banks got the turbo from someone else and put it in a kit. My ATS setup has a garrett turbo.

thanks for the info and the link to this site!

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
What You have there is a 1st gen Banks Kit. The non-gated turbo, and big box.

I seriously doubt You could get a PSD, or a factory idiT up pipe to work with it. Different turbo, mounts, etc. Any chance the person You bought it from could get You the original up, and down pipes???

sadly no I tried. I can buy them new from banks but I was hoping to do it a little cheaper than $345.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
Diesel Max I tried to send you a pm with my e-mail address but I get a pop up that you don't receive pm's from strangers. I had to go in to the user cp and enable mine. I would like to get that file from you though it would be a big help! you can go into my profile select contact, click on my web site and send it to me that way as well.

Last edited:

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Diesel Max I tried to send you a pm with my e-mail address but I get a pop up that you don't receive pm's from strangers. I had to go in to the user cp and enable mine. I would like to get that file from you though it would be a big help! you can go into my profile select contact, click on my web site and send it to me that way as well.

Files sent to your contact e-mail on your website.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!;Sweet

The collector pipes are trans specific, and I wound up getting one made up at my local garage.
They only charged me 100 bucks plus they towed the chassis both ways on top of it.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!;Sweet

The collector pipes are trans specific, and I wound up getting one made up at my local garage.
They only charged me 100 bucks plus they towed the chassis both ways on top of it.

I found a local guy that wants to take a look at it.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
ok guys I came across a deal and decided to go a different way if possible. I just bought a 95 f250 powerstroke 2wd ext cab long box auto, with 115k miles on it. I per fer my 92 4x4 and would like to perform a heart transplant. the auto tranny in the 95 is 2wd what do I need to do to attach my transfer case off of my 5 speed zf manual onto it? I would like to install the auto tranny with the motor swap or is this advised? if I can I will part out the f250 and of course the excess parts from the 92 f350 like the idi 7.3 it has 230k on it with new inj pump and manifolds as well as the used banks turbo set up I bought for it. any advise would be greatly appreciated! the only marks I could see on the auto tranny is the word metric on the pan and rf-fotp-7008-bb cast into the case. there was a sticker on the side of the tranny but as soon as I started wiping it off all the info wiped off with it. the only number I could make out before it washed off was 40 in large print. the motor in the powerstroke looks like it is farther forward than my 7.3 idi, is this right or just an illusion ?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
In order to use the 2wd auto with a t-case, you have to rebuild it. The output shaft needs to be replaced with a 4wd version. I think it's one of the last parts to come out.