92 F350 7.3 ... glow plugs?

bradkline

Reaction score
Hey all, been a while since I've been on here, as I sold my 2005 SD a while back. I am buying a 1992 Ford F350 crew cab dually long bed 4x4 with the 7.3 IDI engine. Ford didn't make this truck as listed above, it is a Centurion conversion. Very cool truck in my opinion. The gentleman I am buying it from says that the truck fires right up 9/10 times, but sometimes he will turn the key and it will give him a glow plug light again, and he will have to plug in the block heater for a few minutes before the truck will fire. He said he thinks it is the glow plug relay, or a temp sensor. Anyone ever run into that before and know what I need to order? I don't want to get stranded somewhere or order the wrong thing if I can avoid it. Any help is greatly appreciated and it is good to be back on the forum!

Thanks in advance!

Brad

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Over....

Plenty here to help you out.....

Another Indiana-er..... there are several of us here in the Hoosier state......

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine starts a little hard I always check the glow plugs, usually by time it really starts hard I've got a couple glow plugs out.
A couple weeks ago went through and checked & had 3 glow plugs out:eek:, I need to check them sooner than later.
I would bet if the relay was out it wouldn't start 9/10 times.
Just my 2 cents, I'll let some of the experts confirm that or not.

bradkline

Reaction score
Thanks Brad S.

That makes sense. I am taking his word that it is a 1/10 no starts. I'll get a couple second opinions and hopefully know what I need to do when I take the keys on Thursday.

3/4 Ton-O-Fun

90F250 na7.3IDI 4x4
Reaction score
Check the batteries and condition of all the bits involved with starting. If it isn't spinning fast it won't start easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online