91 idi starter grinding & hard start.

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 91 f 350 with 7.3 idi and e4od trans. i have only had this truck since jan of this year and am already issues with the second starter.
What i have is a 12 tooth ultima 19418 starter from oreileys. open ended no cover over the teeth. same as came in the truck when i got it. It has never engaged right always seemed like teeth were too close to the flywheel. Recently is began to not engage fully when extended. I have got under the truck and extended the bendix and it only engages the flywheel about 1/4".
Am i getting the wrong starter or is it a solenoid problem not kicking out far enough?? I dont want to chew up the teeth on the flywheel. The starter i took off after i got it only showed wear on the outer half of the teeth.
I have read about 12 tooth and 13 tooth varieties. is there a difference??. this one has lifetime warranty and i can just exchange it but i shouldnt be replacing starters every 5 months.
Starting issues i am having are new glow plugs from motorcraft, new controller and relay. they glow plug system does work thanks to a manual override setup. it still will not fire up without a quick shot of wd-40 or ether. new lift pump, injectors, filters. will a small electric fuel pump help if actuated while glow plugs are heating for a few seconds??

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW you might use the factory glowplug controller setup instead of the manual override. I prefer the factory setup because it also functions as a diagnostic tool--if the controller starts clicking rapidly then you know you have a problem with your glowplugs or related wiring.

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in 2 new controllers and 2 sets of glowplugs with the same problems. It clicks constantly for 10 seconds, wait light is only on for .5 seconds. I have 12.6 vdc at the plugs on the harness disconnected. 10.6 connected. Glowplugs ohm out at .4 to .9 ohms. They dont heat with the controller as factory, but do heat with the manual button. It just isnt helping it to fire up. Tgats why i was wondering if its a fuel drainbach issue.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a non contact Laser temp gun, check the engine temp before starting. As hot as it's been, the GP's will NOT cycle if the engine temp is around 85 90 degrees. That's the way there supposed to work. Your forcing a GP cycle with a manual setup, which probably isn't doing any good. You have other starting problems, like not turning over fast enough or a fuel problem. Sounds like fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online

No members online now.