91 F250 rear brakes

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I bought new brakes for my 91 f250. I had my dad pick them up since i had to work. Well I got to taking things apart today and found that I got the wrong shoes. The ones they gave me are a half to three quarter inch narrower than the old ones. I ordered them for a 10.25 sterling rear because the one on my truck matches all the descriptions and pics I've seen of the sterling here on the site. Any ideas? I don't know if I goofed or if they did. It seems to me that the narrower shoes wouldn't be good for the drums. I just really want to do this once and not have to take it back apart! Any help is appreciated.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i know you can get brake shoes that are 2 1/2 and ones that are 3" wide. My truck took the 3" ones i am not sure way there are two different widths:dunno

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I wish I had known they had the two widths when I asked dad to pick them up. Then I could finish it today! Thanks for the info, I was thinking maybe I was wrong about the rear being a sterling.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 2 1/2" were for the 2 wheel drives but I am not sure. Mine used the 3". I was given a set of 2 1/2" from a guy at work who used to have a Ford diesel 2x4 and the were the 2 1/2".

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Giving an auto parts store my truck's info (87 F250 4x4) They still asked me if I had 2.5, or 3 inch shoes on it. One of the guys told me that the 3" shoes were for the heavier duty F250.... I didn't know there was a difference..

Gary

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the rear ends have 2.5 or 3" brakes at random and its hard to say for sure until you tear it down. I now know I have 2.5" shoes and that's on a 3.55 Sterling that came out of a 1 ton, which came with 3" shoes. My suggestion would be to pull it apart before ordering parts the first time or order both and take back what you don't need.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Well I solved the problem by going to Oreilly auto parts. They had the three inch shoes in stock, and a lot cheaper too. The first place charged $48 for the wrong ones and Oreilly had the correct ones for $25. To be honest it really isn't all their fault seeing as how I didn't know there were two different widths. But you'd think that the computer would show that to the parts guy so he'd know to ask. Anyway I have one side done now so I am a happy camper. I learned something new from it and that is a good thing.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have 3" shoes on my 91 F250 and it used to be 2wd. Most of the F250/F350's I've seen have 3" shoes. I put F350 wheel cylinders and M/C on my truck for a little better braking. Larger bore in both, direct bolt in too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel