91 dt360 - 88 for 250 can it be done?

dta360

Reaction score
Hello i have might have acses to a 91 dt360 out of a bus my main concern is that i might not be able to get the engine mated to the zf five speed transmision in it would anyone have any insight to this question?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Yes. If you do a websearch for pipewhiner on many diesel forums, he has a few made. It's the trans adapter, and flywheel to mate to a ZF. Another idea, you could get a pretty nice 10 speed for that price.

dta360

Reaction score
humm Ten speed that my be an option but i already have the tranny in the truck i might look into that though. on my initial post i forgot to say that i was trying to put it in a 88 f250

Exekiel69

Reaction score
2wd or 4wd? If 2wd then it will just too easy to make a crossmember and modifications to accommodate another transmission already matted to the dt360. If 4wd then there is more work involved.
Personally I would pick a md transmission over a ld transmission for longevity reasons.

dta360

Reaction score
yes i have wondered about that. im wondering if getting a adapter plate machined or shortening my drive line and moving my transfer case and lengthening my for wheel drive, drive line or go 2wd its 4wd if you haven't guessed already. oh my grammar fail but i am not sure witch would cost more. the dt is mated up to an allision 545 auto so i would like to know how well they perform not to knowledgeable about transmissions.

dta360

Reaction score
humm darn is there anyway to upgrade like the tourque converter and larger pan and maybe a remote cooler or is it still just crap?

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Even with a low stall converter, it's still going to feel like the engine is connected to a rubber band. Add to that, a 230hp rating, and you get a grenade.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Once you find a suitable MD trans, just go with a divorced transfercase.

dta360

Reaction score
ok any suggested tans that would work well?
could it be put up to the zf5 transmission? or is there any other transmission that would bolt right up?

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The SAE transmissions they came with are pretty strong. Comb thru a truck wrecking yard, and see what they can help you come up with.

swamp_ratt

Oh yeah....
Reaction score
I'm running a 6spd allison 1000 from a duramax behind my dt360. Buy a allison 2000 bellhousing and bolt it to your 1000 and away ya go. Can use the 5spd Allison too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7