91 7.3 Starting issues.... Please Help!

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic has had my truck twice. Just replaced the batteries , he says it will crank but if it sits for a bit, will not crank again without help ( ether.....) I wonder if it might be fuel injector pump and how this can be tested, or if anyone has any other suggestions. I need my truck back, running and reliable :rolleyes: I have a farm, need to go get hay and pull my trailer........

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I think you need a mechanic... Does it smoke at all while cranking? If you have a mechanical fuel pump push the schrader valve on the fuel filter housing while cranking, if you have fuel there crack a couple injectors and see if you have fuel there. Make sure the solenoid in the injection pump is clicking. Really need more info to help diagnose though.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Mechanic has it, he has worked on it for several days. It cranks with the assist of ether, you can shut it off and it will crank right back up. Let it sit 15 minutes and it will not crank again. Will turn over but not catch, as if it is not getting fuel. The first thing he did was check the valve and injectors, and we just replaced a leaky injector about a month ago.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ok your version of crank is different from others lol. most say crank and think the starter actually turning the engine over. you say crank as in the engine trying to start. no big deal, just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

how fast does the engine turn/spin over. if it is not turning over fast enough it will not start.

from the sounds of it, the injection pump is done. I think you can test it by pouring a little cold water on the top of it after it is warm and in it's no start condition, if it starts up after the water then the pump is done.

how many miles on the pump?

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the new batteries, it turns over normally and should catch. I was thinking injector pump. I bought the truck in 05 and have put many miles on it and honestly can't remember if I have ever had the pump changed out, so for lack of exact numbers, miles on the pump..... Lots ....... LOL Mechanic is not a diesel only but I trust him not to rip me off and he takes it easy on me. For him to tell me he is about out of ideas , tells me he has probably beat his head on the wall trying to fix it. I will tell him and see if he can figure it out tomorrow. If not, guess we will see if anyone else has ideas.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok your version of crank is different from others lol. most say crank and think the starter actually turning the engine over. you say crank as in the engine trying to start. no big deal, just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

how fast does the engine turn/spin over. if it is not turning over fast enough it will not start.

from the sounds of it, the injection pump is done. I think you can test it by pouring a little cold water on the top of it after it is warm and in it's no start condition, if it starts up after the water then the pump is done.

how many miles on the pump?

does it start ok when dead cold? what eric is referring to is "heat soak". when the IP goes south sometimes it will not start when the engine is warm, but starts fine when its cold. this is due to the tolerances expanding when its hot and if its warm the tolerances are over the limit. If the pump has over 100k on it its time for a new one anyway. mine lasted 175k but yeah it caused the same kind of problems you describe.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will start cold, with the help of ether , but not on its own

gatorman21218

Reaction score
at the end of my pumps life it wouldnt start without the block heater. So if you have checked and double checked the basics (getting fuel, glow plugs, air intrusion etc) and it sounds like you have, its time for a new pump

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He did not plug it in over the weekend, it was warm here so no need. This morning it would not crank unless he used ether. Juste replaced the Glow Plug Relay and he verified all GP were good. I am sure he checked Air Intrusion, but will mention it to make sure. Is there a better pump to get? I will likely go pick it up, we usually use O'Reilly Auto Parts , but I can get to a NAPA easily too. It is just cheaper if I buy my own parts.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked O Reilly, they carry a Borg Warner Reman with 1 yr warranty for $399. I also checked my local parts place, basically same pump, for $529. Mechanic says $300 to put it on. O'reilly , here anyway, has always treated me right so thinking budget wise , for now I will go that way. Mechanic still not 100% it is pump, I just have a feeling it is.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once it starts it will restart fine correct? But, if it sits for a while is won't correct?

If that is the case, it sounds like air/fuel leak. Any wet injector caps? Try this....... after it has sit for a few hours have someone crank it over while another person open the schraider valve on the fuel filter header. If air comes out before fuel (meaning if you don't get a stream of fuel right away, but get air first), then you have an air leak. Fix the source of the air leak and you will be in good shape.

I hate to see you spend good money on an IP if you have a simple air leak. Plus, the $399 IP will likely last just past the warrenty and not much longer. Get a quality rebuild (if you need one) from Conestoga diesel and it'll last for over 100,000 miles.

Heath

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you pay for is what you get!!!!! If your looking to get a pump I suggest a baby or Junior Moose pump, depends on you Applications or needs. Yes you can buy one from one of them parts stores next to you, but there one year warranty better plan to buy another one in a year!!! I don't believe there completely rebuild, noting like Mel's are!!! So in a year you can buy another pump and kick your self in the ass for now spending 600+ and changing it twice and timing ect. Or you can buy it once and be good for I believe 175miles (+) and knows how a pump works!! And will not sell (garbage) top of the line place along with customer service!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online