91 7.3 IDI NON TURBO BLOWN HEAD GASKET. ONLY 70K MILES

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped my ASE's 15 yrs ago when employers stopped giving a bonus for being certified. It was all the rage in the mid 90's.

I saw no reason to pay out of my pocket to be certified if the shop owners and managers don't care. You never see the ASE sign on a building any more.

74montercarlo

Reaction score
I dont think he was talking all mechanics, just ones puffing out thier chest and using a piece of paper to prove thier credibility/talent.

You obviously have good diagnostic skills, and It is ok to be proud of what you do for a living...

Yea I probably over reacted a little bit. Just kinda upsetting that someone would just generalize and talk down to someone about their career.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok now know what an ASE is thanks for that.

FYI

FRONT OF ENGINE
FAN

2 1
4 3
6 5
8 7

REAR OF ENGINE
FLYWHEEL

Now which cyl was it.

The intake is clearly marked with cyl no for each cyl.

It is not a common thing going out at 70 k for sure...what about a cracked head not a hg?

Wait n see I suppose...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can assure you I'm not an idiot and Thats a little narrow minded to put every mechanic in the same category as a shade tree mechanic who likes to Jack things up on their car before they bring it to me to repair it because they can't. I have plenty of stories to tell about do it yourselfers who tried to fix their car and f***ed it up beyond repair.

narrow minded, maybe. but i can assure you that i have done my fair share, and will continue to do so, above and beyond a ASE cert ;)
yes i was speaking generally, i was not calling you an idiot.

storys are plentiful! we all have them, some funnier than others.

but it is what it is. good luck on your truck.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I probably over reacted a little bit. Just kinda upsetting that someone would just generalize and talk down to someone about their career.

your career is what you make it. i have seen way more than i want to in this game called wrenching.

i wasnt talking down to you, and if you felt that way, we can go to a "safe place" and hash it out.
mechanics have their talent, and in no way shape or form talking down to you about your lifes path...

trust me if i want to talk down to someone about their career, it WILL be an engineer LOL

there are alot of good mechanics, but just like every walk of life there are that few that makes one chuckle.

74montercarlo

Reaction score
your career is what you make it. i have seen way more than i want to in this game called wrenching.

i wasnt talking down to you, and if you felt that way, we can go to a "safe place" and hash it out.
mechanics have their talent, and in no way shape or form talking down to you about your lifes path...

trust me if i want to talk down to someone about their career, it WILL be an engineer LOL

there are alot of good mechanics, but just like every walk of life there are that few that makes one chuckle.

I think we can all agree that we hate engineers haha. Yea like I said I over reacted just a bit my bad. I've been criticized my whole life for my career path even though I make a lot more than half of the people talking. I've been called "just a dumb uneducated mechanic" so it gets a bit annoying ya know? Again my bad I'm not usually the one to get worked up over nothing haha.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that we hate engineers haha. Yea like I said I over reacted just a bit my bad. I've been criticized my whole life for my career path even though I make a lot more than half of the people talking. I've been called "just a dumb uneducated mechanic" so it gets a bit annoying ya know? Again my bad I'm not usually the one to get worked up over nothing haha.

just remember, making more money than someone does not mean you are better than them, nor does it give them the right to criticize.

i do pretty damn well for myself, but if it wasnt for my kids, and mama, its all for not.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A sudden issue like yours is probably going to be a head gasket. In all honesty.. Pulling the engine is the only real safe way to do a head gasket job... Its out of the truck. Its easy to work on and... You can fix all the leaking oil areas. DO NOT USE A CORK OR RUBBER OIL PAN GASKET... The factory used an RTV and it works very well. Any other modern gasket will leak. Just because a gasket maker includes or sells a gasket is no indication you need it. These engine dress out around 1000 lbs so use a cherry picker heavy enough and get an engine stand capable of holding 2000 lbs. They usually have 4 legs and not the harbor freight type 3 legged stands. BTW every cylinder is numbered on the intake manifold between the 2 bolts that holds it to the heads. Passenger side is odd and drivers side is even numbered. Smallest at the radiator and largest at the firewall. The firing order is marked on the passenger side of the intake air horn. When you messed with the timing you very easily could have advanced the timing well into the double digits. That could have caused a head gasket to let go too. Before you remove the injection pump make a center punch mark in the joint line between the pump and the housing. Now you have a witness mark and can re install the pump exactly where you had it. then get a timing meter and check your timing. Simply moving the pump a dimes "thickness" is no way to set timing.