8R19.5 Tires - its really not a Chevy thread.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different between what and what? Like I said there are two different 19.5" wheels that can be found on bread trucks:

a) one 19.5" wheel has 8 on 6.5" lug pattern which is identical to what older 1-ton dually GM trucks use, hub pilot diameter is also the same 4.56" - if that ain't a direct bolt-on, I dunno what is! Easily identifiable by the four hand holes, it essentially looks just like a normal 1-ton dually wheel only larger. Here is one such wheel on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170818466160. If you wanna use it on a Ford dually you gotta machine the hub pilot opening from 4.56" up to 4.88".

b) the other 19.5" wheel has 10 on 7-1/4" lug pattern, which in GM vehicles is only used on what are essentially medium-duty applications. This wheel can most commonly be found in 3500HD trucks, but some motorhomes also use it. There are 5 hand holes on this wheel. Here is one such wheel on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251048758022. The 10 on 7-1/4" lug pattern is used on F-Superduty trucks as well, however those have hub pilot of 5.46" as opposed to the 5.25" hub pilot used on Chevys - as w/ 1-tons, if you wanna upgrade your 16" Ford to 19.5" wheels you will have to machine the hub pilot opening larger.

Does it make sense now?

There are also the WIDE eight pattern and the Wide six 19.5 wheels out there ... like on the Int'l 4300 and the Isuzu trucks .. and there are a standard ten lug like semi's use also in the 19.5 wheels

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are also the WIDE eight pattern and the Wide six 19.5 wheels out there ... like on the Int'l 4300 and the Isuzu trucks .. and there are a standard ten lug like semi's use also in the 19.5 wheels
Oh, I'm aware of that, however this thread started off as a discussion about 19.5" wheels on 1-ton duallies (the 4 hand hole 8 on 6.5" BDC P30 ones), I only got into the 5/10 lug 3500HD wheels because someone else mentioned the 3500HD chassis first. Those wheels you speak of are not likely to be found on a 1-ton dually due to the adapters they require - for what those cost, if even available for the wide-8 and wide-6 patterns, one IMHO is far better off obtaining a set of the 4-hand-hole P30 wheels and having the centers machined - the wheels will then fit just like factory ones did w/o adding extra axle components and thus more potential failure points. I've seen this done on a slantnose F350 dually w/ pickup box and it looked great, never seen it on a bricknose or a newer truck tho, not in person at least.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably, IIRC them P30 wheels are direct bolt-on for chevy dually trucks that came w/ 16s or even 16.5s from the factory, and 19.5" commercial tires make for much more stable ride especially around corners w/ top-heavy loads. I've seen them on Ford trucks as well, but they need some machine work first, the hub pilot hole needs opened up from 4.56" to 4.88" or it won't slip over the hubs.

Most Frito Lay delivery trucks I've seen had them, also some larger cutaway cube vans w/ the G-series cab. No need to touch rotors or hubs or anything on the 1-ton truck AFAIK, just bolt wheels on and go, that is assuming tires will clear fenders and such (not always the case w/ 2wd trucks).

^^^ WHAT HE SAID ^^^

There is a local machine-shop that has re-machined a bunch of those 19.5 GM step-van wheels to fit Fords and Dodges.

They are a direct bolt-on for any GM 1-ton DRW.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not everyone has money to have these rims machined or access to a large lathe. I came up with an interesting idea though. Would a ridge reamer for cylinder blocks work?

giezy

Reaction score
Are you sure it's actually a P30 chassis? If I ain't mistaken the P30 comes w/ 8-lug wheel setup only, and tis also a bit small for a class-A... There is another chassis that is similar to P30 and also uses 19.5 wheels and tires, but driveline and brakes are much beefier, usually that's what I see RVs built on - if yours has 10-lug wheels this is the chassis it uses, forgot its designation tho.

my friend has a 87 class a 31 foot on a p30 and it has 10 bolt wheeels with a dana 70 and the front rotor has a 8 to 5 lug dually style adapter on the front that uses a ten lug wheel and a plate on the outside to cover the 10 bolt 19.5 wheels so one spare is needed

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Not everyone has money to have these rims machined or access to a large lathe. I came up with an interesting idea though. Would a ridge reamer for cylinder blocks work?

If you are looking to try it, I can hook you up with my dad in Minden. He could set the loose wheels up in his mill and open them up.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score

It depends really. Technically, the rims are referenced off the center hole of the rim in relation to the protruding hub on the rear axle or from hub/rotor. This is what centers the rim, technically not the lugs/studs. (true bud wheels are different though, but thats not what we are talking about here).

So what does that mean? Maybe not a hill of beans. Buy some aftermarket 8 lugs rims and put them on a chevy. Want to bet they have the center reference hole that fits a ford? So in that case, the lugs/studs are referencing the wheels, not the center hole because its larger than the hub/rotor. (hope that all makes sense to you)

Whats the draw back to running a center reference hole thats too big? Not sure, ask the GM guys. BUT if the center reference hole on the rim is OFF, say due to enlarging it with a die grinder or ridge reamer, and it interferes with the lugs, you may be asking for trouble.

Would I pull 12K with the center reference too big and only the lugs holding things true on a daily basis?? No.

Light duty towing or a daily driver, though, it wouldnt bother me a bit.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends really. Technically, the rims are referenced off the center hole of the rim in relation to the protruding hub on the rear axle or from hub/rotor. This is what centers the rim, technically not the lugs/studs. (true bud wheels are different though, but thats not what we are talking about here).

So what does that mean? Maybe not a hill of beans. Buy some aftermarket 8 lugs rims and put them on a chevy. Want to bet they have the center reference hole that fits a ford? So in that case, the lugs/studs are referencing the wheels, not the center hole because its larger than the hub/rotor. (hope that all makes sense to you)

Whats the draw back to running a center reference hole thats too big? Not sure, ask the GM guys. BUT if the center reference hole on the rim is OFF, say due to enlarging it with a die grinder or ridge reamer, and it interferes with the lugs, you may be asking for trouble.

Would I pull 12K with the center reference too big and only the lugs holding things true on a daily basis?? No.

Light duty towing or a daily driver, though, it wouldnt bother me a bit.

As I said in the beginning I figured this to be an interesting idea. A ridge reamer if it works could and would make decent circular holes. with patience and a dial caliper it could be possible to get the wheels awful darn close to true and still be snug. I wouldn't try using a grinder freehand. The holes would be a disaster. Genlightning I'll keep your offer in mind. I don't have any rims yet and this idea came about because I keep driving by a chevy bucket truck that's for sale in reno. I noticed that the lug pattern looked to match my rollback and I like that they can handle 1000 lbs more per tire than the tires I'm using now.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 4 19.5 dually rims with a 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern. They've got the small hub pilot hole for a chevy though. Not sure why the guy i got them from only had 4....???

I'd probably sell them if the price was right. Thought I'd use them someday, but don't know when or what..... so maybe someone can use them

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
As I said in the beginning I figured this to be an interesting idea. A ridge reamer if it works could and would make decent circular holes. with patience and a dial caliper it could be possible to get the wheels awful darn close to true and still be snug. I wouldn't try using a grinder freehand. The holes would be a disaster. Genlightning I'll keep your offer in mind. I don't have any rims yet and this idea came about because I keep driving by a chevy bucket truck that's for sale in reno. I noticed that the lug pattern looked to match my rollback and I like that they can handle 1000 lbs more per tire than the tires I'm using now.

He could set it up to bore them as close to exact as they currently are with a boring tool. Pretty easy setup and wouldn't take very long. Just need to know what size they need to be.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the back burner for now. Totalled my mbz diesel friday night so goin to Kali to get a replacement later this week. That makes me cash strapped

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online