89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably paint the lizard skin on the back outside of the cab body color. The stuff on the outside of the firewall I think I'll leave black. I thought about painting it, but it looks good now and I'm worried about scratching the paint up when i end up doing maintenance under the hood in the future. Still not sure what I'm going to do. And all the inside stuff and underneath the cab I'll leave black lizard skin.

Should I paint the outside of the firewall body color or leave black? What's everybody thinking? Painted firewall would look sharp!

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Painted firewall would look very nice plus the texture of the lizard skin would make it very hard to scratch the paint that was on it... and no I have not been inside my back doors yet I need to acually my driver rear door lock dosent work ...

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought paint today! So this weekend with any luck the cab will be in body color.

Those back doors look Gnarly. There is a metal plate holding the handle that is riveted over most of the opening in the door. I butchered some 6x9 speakers into mine probably 10 years ago so i have a big hole in the bottom to stick my arm through. As the door lock actuators where riveted in I was thinking about leaving them, but will probably pull that too. Don't want fresh paint on the rivet in the jamb when I have to drill out the rivet to replace the door lock actuators which will probably happen right after I get it back together.

I'm also getting ready to order hinge pin rebuild kits for my hinges. Figured now's the time to do it while they are easy to get at. I think I'm going to do them all. some of them are a little stiff and some are loose. 20 years of doors opening and closing has taken it's toll.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I bought my paint today and then promptly dropped the gallon when carrying it in the shop!!:eek:-cuss:eek: Luckily it only spilled probably a couple ounces. So not a big deal, but easily could have been.
You must be registered for see images attach

This looks a lot worse than it really is. And if anybody asks dumb questions I can tell them that's the spot where the last person asked dumb questions.

This is the color. It is called Dark Copper. The pictures don't do it justice.

I also got my carpet and seat samples. I'm trying to imitate the interior of a King Ranch truck. So we're looking at a brown color for the seats and a light tan for the rest of the interior. Here are the seat and carpet samples I've received so far. I need to get some headliner samples in. And some light vinyl that will match the carpet.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
nice...i plan on getting some sort of sound deadener but i might just use a bedliner material on the walls/roof/doors...... thats a lot of cash to shell out for lizard skin

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like this color scheme. Glad someone else does too! I'm hoping it looks sharp when done. I've got more color samples coming for the headliner and stuff. I have to make sure the interior is done well. I really need all the colors for the different materials to work together. On the bottom of the truck I'll put a light tan called Arizona Beige.

Yeah i looked and looked for a sound deadener before I settled on lizard skin. I never heard a complaint about lizard skin other than the cost. I finished up the last coat of lizard last night. It really made the cab sound solid when you tap on it. I think a beadliner would be awesome from a protection and sound reason, but worried about the insulation value. The Lizard skin has some insulating microspheres or something in it. I'm not against spending money on this truck, but want to get a good value when I spend it.

My biggest concern with rebuilding an old truck was going to be if it's loud and the a/c and heat don't work well I'll always be wanting for a new truck. Those are the two biggest things I like about newer vehicles. That's why I've been Ok spending the money to keep it quiet and insulated so it's more like a new truck. Maybe better if I do it right.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
no arguments from me on any of those points.

im kind of in the same boat. I like my older fords and i can build one the way i want cheaper then a new truck so yea i plan on adding the creature comforts to mine as i can afford to as i go.

the insulation value im not too worried about. i never had any issues with my truck gettin warm in the winter....in the dead heat of the summer it was a bit lacking in the a/c but i think my compressor is on its way out. i plan on replacing alot of a/c parts when i get there. ill add insulation to the lower half of the cab and maybe some peel and stick to the roof. im more worried about sound deadening and keeping the rust at bay more then anything. i got a gallon of SEM rust shield comming hopefully today to do the frame and underside of the cab with.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
I like the interior color combo! Who will be recovering your seats? Someone local or are you sending them out?

I would like to have my bench seats recovered in a leather or leather like material and am just curious.

I also got my carpet and seat samples. I'm trying to imitate the interior of a King Ranch truck. So we're looking at a brown color for the seats and a light tan for the rest of the interior. Here are the seat and carpet samples I've received so far. I need to get some headliner samples in. And some light vinyl that will match the carpet.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freebird - no arguments from me either on your plans. Especially if a guy does the peal and stick roofing stuff from like Lowe's or Home depot for sound deadening. The problem I have is like the dynamat type products. They are expensive when you start talking about doing a crewcab. Anythings SEM seems to work well I think that will work nicely. I would say I always thought my heat and a/c were lacking in my truck though. I'm going to replace the evaporator and compressor for sure and probably all the lines by the time it's done. My evaporator is full of gunk where the air blows through and my compressor is a greasy mess as the front seal on it must be out.

The lizard skin is probably the area where I think i completely overkilled. I'm shooting nason paint by dupont cause it was $220 a gallon for this and when i've priced out the better Chroma dupont paints they've been easily triple the cost. I'm also shooting nason clear, but that's because I like it.

88IDI - I'm going through a place called Leatherseats.com. They had a pattern for my seats in their database. Each row of 40/20/40 seats is like $580 bucks for their normal leather. Premium leather is $700 a row. They also sell additional leather or vinyl as needed to do door panels and stuff. They've been awesome to work with. I tried to work with Katzkin or Roadwire, but you have to work through a distributor with them and the distributors in my area suck. And the prices I was getting sounded the same. I talked to a couple trim shops that would make custom covers, but they said if their is a seat kit available it's cheaper to do that then have one custom made. Straight up bench seats might not be too bad though. you might check LMC for vinyl bench seats. I think they have some decently priced seat kits. I should say I'll be doing all the labor to remove the current covers and installing the new leather. I've swapped upholstery before when working on wrecked cars. I also need to inspect my seats as a couple I think are bent. One set of seats came from a rolled pickup.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ive sprayed nason before and your right its good paint. my zuk i used sherwin williams 4th dimension cause it was cheap and its a rock crawler. i just didnt care for their clear. one thing i got going for me is im goin flat bed so that cuts out alot of surface area to paint.

and yes i like the color combo also...

ive decided mine it going to partially match my samurai....top and bottom will be black and the middle will be striped with 96 dodge viper red pinstriped in white. and ill be something on the hood too....just not sure what yet.

kinda like this...

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Zuk is really cool man. I 've always wanted to build a 4x toy like a jeep, zuk, or a scout. Being in Iowa though it's pretty flat and I dont want to load it up and travel all over to use it. picking color scheme's is tough if you ask me. you want something that stands out, but can be fixed if it gets some road rash. Black with the red stripe should be sharp. Especially using the viper red.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Ya know this is all the same for me I drive anywhere from a 2008 to 2012 f550 for work and I like the quite well heated well cooled interior.

BUT I still like my truck better making the inside of my truck look feel and act like a 2012 is the end goal.
I also like that the colors you are using are close to new factory colors because on a new truck they are just eh normal" but on an older truck people will be noticing it more

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Likin the build, especially some real world feedback on the lizard skin. I was thinking of using it in my 66 Comet after i replace the floors.