87 Ford Ranger Diesel

wreckerman893

Reaction score
I have a 87 Ford Ranger with the factory Mitsubishi diesel in it.

It has been hard to start for a while which I attributed to a glow plug issue.

It would always start after some cranking.

The other day I went out and it would turn over but not crank.....I suspect a fuel issue since I get no smoke from the pipe.

The factory fuel filter system was designed by an idiot after consulting with a moron and I want to replace the overpriced fuel filter with a spin on. I have a filter head that will just about bolt in the original location.

The problem is that there are a lot of wires and tubes sprouting from the filter housing and mount......prob a water sensor in there somewhere too.

It's a great little truck, although cosmetically challenged, and I want to use it as a daily driver since it runs good on 50/50 diesel/veggie oil.

Does anyone have a source for a repair manual for this critter...they are rare and this is the only one I have seen in person. I really need a schematic before I go in and start cutting wires.

Reaction score
Man I envy you. I have been wanting one fo those for years. I use to know a guy that owned several and even did a few turbo conversions on them. I'll see if I can find his conact information.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
wreckerman,

Send david85 a PM on this... he has a couple of the diesel rangers and may have the info you need.... I wouldn't mind having one of them.......

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to derail he thread further but these can come with a t19 bolted to them and later years were factory turbo'd :sly

I can probably get some info on the engine but i gotta runnnnn