86 GMC K10 Excab

justcuz

Reaction score
Those are built on a longbed chassis with a short bed right? If so then an exhaust system from a miltary diesel longbed truck will bolt right on. Not sure how many of those extra cabs survived, but most are in the midwest. I've never seen one in Arizona,Nevada,Utah, Oregon, Washington,Montana, Wyoming or California. Nor have I seen any in Ohio or Michigan. It would be fun to find out how many were actually manufactured and by whom.

Rare86

Reaction score
These are indeed built on long bed frames, and the bed is a shortened longbed. I have found pictures of about 50 or so but only have locations on maybe 20. The rest a just pictures. Im still looking. As far as who made them, mine are all made by Custom Vehicles International that was in Arlington. Others like Overland coach and Stage coach made some as well. Most of the ones i have found are CVI built trucks.Thanks for the info.

justcuz

Reaction score
I don't remember if the 4wd CUCV K30 pickups had dual exhaust or not.
I know the 2wd 6.2 engines had them from the factory on some or all. Should be easy to find online to see if they can be purchased. As I recall the head pipes from the exhaust manifold to the mufflers were 2.25 or 2.5 inches in diameter.

Who was the aftermarket specialty company who modified these for Chevy?

Rare86

Reaction score
CVI build these trucks. They were built for the dealerships like the conversion vans were and sold with warranty. GM had nothing to do with the modifactions.

Bryce_Burden90

Reaction score
I had never heard of them either, nice looking trucks. As far as the exhaust goes, I'm running 3" single straight on my 6.2, 4" single straight on the 6.5, the 86 Ford running straight off the manifolds (exhaust fell off halfway home from where we bought it the other day:thumbsup:), and the 83 Ford still has stock exhaust but fixing to go with dual 3 or 4" with dual 5" stacks out front corners of the bed. If you add a turbo, a muffler won't be necessary, my 6.5 is not much louder with straight pipe than it was with the muffler, just a little deeper tone under a load and you can hear the turbo whistle more as you let out of it :rock:. Good luck with your 6.2, can't wait till I get my newest 6.2 project next week.

Bryce