86' F250 36k orig. miles

ausmhow

Reaction score
New to the forum- looks like alot of great info here. I've got the opportunity to buy an 86 F250 6.9 4wd 4sp from the original owner with 36,000 miles on the clock. Not my first diesel rig, but my first Ford. The truck is a single cab- base model- no pw or pdl etc.. The truck is absolutly beautiful- Literally looks like it came off the showroom floor last week. My question is this: with this low miles on a 22yo truck, do I need to be concerned with it having sat for too long a period of time between uses? Any input would be helpful.. Also, what kind of fuel milage can I expect from this truck? Thanks in advance
Austin from WA:cheers:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you drive it like a grandpa (but not my grandpa, lol) and it has 3.55 rear gears you should be up well over 15mpg, even near the 20 mark on a good day, methinks.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If the PO never replaced any hoses I would replace the fuel return hoses and radiator hoses, also the fuel feed hose and since You are replacing the fuel return hoses might as well get a kit with all the T caps and o-rings (no more than $30). Do change the engine oil and tranny oil if it wasn't changed recently. Used good doses of fuel conditioner/additive like Lucas, Power service, stanadyne or the one of Your choice.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The disuse will not have affected the engine and transmission as long as you just let everything warm up before you drive it hard the first couple times. That injection pump may not like the newer fuels, ULSD, biodiesel, etc) and you may wind up replacing it...with that being said, if you can get that truck cheap its a steal of a deal. Not even something you can get anymore. Fuel mileage would probably be 13-16 in town and 16-17+ on the highway as long as you avoid jack rabbit starts and keep the speed to 65 or less.