86 F-350 Dually CC 2WD Parting out?

tractorman86

Reaction score
i'd say it is worth... lets see... $800 i'll be there tomorrow:D:D i sure would hate to see a truck this nice go to the canibals, no offence calvin.

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use(d) this truck to pull our 32 foot camper, and I need to be able to count on it. If I just used it locally I'd probably put a used engine in it and keep it, but I won't be able to trust it to tow on a long trip again, unless it has a rebuilt engine in it, and I can't justify the money. I'm not up to rebuilding it myself. So... It has to go in one way or another :(
I will eventually get another someday, but it will probably wait until my son is done college (two to three years down the road). Then I can probably afford to get what I want.
If I do decide to sell it complete as it sits, would someone be able to tow it away? It cost me $95 per hour to have it towed home (thats total time on the road for the flat bed truck) gets expensive quick...
Let me sleep on this, and see if I can decide what I want to do...
Todd

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
somebody out there in the east coast needs to pick up this truck fast and offer a non-insultingly low number for it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is WAAAAAAAAAY too nice a truck to part out!!!

What would you replace it with anyway? I rebuilt my diesel for around 3 grand (CAD$) and thats with rebore, new pistons, rings all bearings, and new heads. If you still have good compression in it, than just pull the motor and swap the bearings. A new set of bearings will not cost as much as a new truck. Neither will a new engine for that matter. These engines rebuild the same as any other V8 of that size. No big deal and it would be less work than all the resto thats been done to date.

After all you've done to this truck it would be a real shame to let it go. Its basically a new truck now.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
When the engine quit it was because the injection pump shaft broke, and the harmonic damner. The shop where it was towed to, put a new dampner on and injection pump, and started it. They said there was a knock in the engine, and I was able to have the injection pump returned (they wanted something like $1200 for it). So, the short answer is, there is no injection pump installed now, and the one I have is a core. Also, the shop removed the gear housing and gear, so all that would have to be reinstalled just to see if it was driveable. I really don't know how bad the knock was, but that is the reason I had the oil analysis done, and Blackstone said I had bearing problems. I can provide a copy of the analysis if someone wants it.

Ok, so it's my turn to become the devils advocate.

IIRC Darrin picked up a steal of a truck from a guy that had the IP replaced by a dealership. They too said it had a knock in it. Came to find out, it was just air in the lines that wasn't wanting to leave and didn't give it the time it needed, so the owner unloaded it.

Sooo, could that be their "engine knock" as well?:dunno

As far as trusting the truck, ya gotta talk to my wife about that. We've made a 10 hour run one way to camping and was having ip/fuel issues just a few days before. Made it there and back no problems.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that is a nice ride, looks like you are 2 hrs from me. i have a truck that could pull it but not the cash in my pocket.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a decision yet Todd?:dunno I hope you keep it and rebuild, but if not, sell the whole truck so someone here.

Heath

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing about getting rid of this truck has been an easy decision for me...
I am relisting it in the Marketplace selling it complete, as is... There is no way that I can get back what I have into it, so I tried to come up with a fair price. If any of you are interested, let me know.
It would be nice to know it will be put to good use, maybe put back on the road??? That's why I came here first to try to sell it. I know there are a lot of you that really appreciate these old trucks, as I do... If you are interested in getting the newer bed for it that I have, and a few other odds and ends I have laying around for it, let me know and we can try to work out a deal. Keep in mind I have no way of transporting it.
Todd

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I created a new thread in the marketplace, since the title on the old one was incorrect... I figured that's the right place to discuss $$...
Let me know if you have any questions...
Thanks,
Todd