84 F 250 Wire issue

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sons truck stopped running yesterday on his way home and left him stranded on the side of the road.

I did some investigating today when I had a chance and found that the wire that goes to the top of the Injection pump has no power which killed the truck. (yes it's not a fuel issue, it's a wire issue)

I took a wire and jumped from the battery over to the IP and the truck started and ran fine.

I've searched for the last hour for a 84 f250 wiring diagram (diesel) I found gas diagrams and 88-96 diagrams but no luck on bull nose diesel. So if some one has a wire diagram would you please share it with me. The last owner was a good ol farmer boy that did who knows what to the wiring system.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you cant find it, when I was working on my SD I needed a manual, but only parts of it.
the manual was 300 bucks.
I went to my local big tyme auto repair place, and for 50 bucks they printed me everything I needed.

Reactions: 3Kp

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Pass side gender has a lot of fusable links. Most likely lost one of them. The fuel heater also runs off the same one as the pump. My heater shorted and burnt up the link shutting the truck down.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I'm going to run a dedicated wire from the battery to a switch in the cab with a in line fuse out to the IP. So we can get it and going for a while.

I just need time to finish building my gantry so I can swap engines out of the 89 and put in my 94 (94 motor is toast)

Then was going to park the 84 truck since it has issues upon issues with issues..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On my 88 had the same thing happen. I heard the fuse pop.
Found a bare spot on the wire near the ip.
Also look at the harness plug near the fender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bet on the fusible link too....I've replaced the "big yellow one" on every truck. I use these:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 40 amp fuse ... comes with comes with 8 gauge (I believe) pig tales about 6" long ... about $11 at O'Reilly. ((EDIT: Part # MAH1 Line: (Lit) made by Littlefuse)) I also disable that stupid heater on every truck ... not convinced that it does anything good.

Last edited:

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 88 had the same thing happen. I heard the fuse pop.
Found a bare spot on the wire near the ip.
Also look at the harness plug near the fender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wire harness has been cut out. They are spliced together.

This is a wiring mess!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of these diagrams might help depending on what GP circuit you have.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally had 6.9 system. Which worked part time then quit! So he's just gives a like squirt of ether. Been that way for months!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally had 6.9 system. Which worked part time then quit! So he's just gives a like squirt of ether. Been that way for months!
The early circuit should be what you want for tracing.

That connector over the pass side valve cover is probably where your problem is.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that he said that the plug was cut out so someone had problems there in the past.3kp, make sure you have good contact at all of the splices there. you may have had one come loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online