'84 6.9 piston cooling nozzles

smoky6-9

Reaction score
I have recently purchased and disassembled a 6.9l out of an '84 f250. I discovered water in the cylinders and the rust pitting in the cylinder walls. im doing this engine as a rebuild project for school so I am willing to spend the time and money to do it right.

I plan on boring the cylinders as much as needed but to do so the piston cooling nozzles must be moved or removed. does anybody have information on the early press-in style cooling nozzles? should I try to bend them out of the way or carefully remove? or does anyone have new ones because I cannot find anything and Ford considers them obsolete...

I appreciate any help or advice.

engine serial number: 6.9DU2U030234

Last edited:

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe you can carefully remove them, you need to note the position of them to reinstall. I would use some locktight when installing them . Been a long time since have worked on one , but it is do able. And yes they need to be removed in order to rebore.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a newer model block, those jets are pressed in. 85 up & up are bolted in. 84 also had a problem with block cracking at block heater mount hole

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a page from a Haynes manual. Removal is described as using visegrips and a pry bar. No mention if they can be reused or if new ones are necessary, so I assume they can be reused. The correct installation tool and template are probably unavailable. You could probably fab a template from the looking at the picture. You might get away using a template and visegrips to install. How lucky do you feel? I recall a post by a member on FTE who reused press in jets and red Loctite. I doubt he had an installation tool. He had to tear down the engine and said the jets were in there solid. I have an early '85 6.9 and would be reluctant to try myself.

Edit: Just read the text again and it stated to install the "new" cooling jet using the tool, so that probably seals the deal.

Last edited:

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others if can at all find a newer block with bolt in jets you will be better off. I can't find my article on it , but there are other reasons too to use a newer block. The main one was the block casting itself , newer ones had a design change that made them stronger and more desirable blocks to use.

smoky6-9

Reaction score
i have since located an '86 complete engine for cheap, from what i've read it sounds like i would be better off buying this and junking the '84 block? Maybe sell extra parts?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most all the parts will fit in a box. Scrap the block, build the heads for later, send the cam to Russ. You may need some of those parts later.
You'll be way ahead.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way better off with the 1985.5+ block for the reasons already mentioned. The oil jets are bolted in and much easier to work with. Just make sure to check the aim anyway. I didn't have dimensions for the alignment tool, but I compared all of them and found one that was bent (probably by me) and was able to correct it. The later cylinder heads are also less prone to cracking.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rush to scrap it. The Jets can be pulled and re used. Use a pair of good vice grips to grap the body right at the block and then use a pry bar to pull them straight out - don't wiggle or pull at an angle. They should come out ok.

Fairly easy to reinstall too..... Take a long 3/8 ish bolt and drill a 5/32 (guess) hole dead center in the end then use a cutoff wheel or similar to cut away one side. Goal is to make it fit over the jet and bear or body. The make a guide from a round chunk of wood or similar to fit in the bearing saddles with a 3/8 hole drilled perpendicular to the axis. Install Jets per service manual above.

Later blocks are nicer, yes, but the press in jets aren't impossible.