80-86 Tripple Gauge Pillar Pod

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've said it before, and Im finally in the final stages of fabricating the the parent part. But before I even seriously think about putting $400 in molding material and 20+ hours labor into creating a mold for these, I need some significant show of interest in the pieces. I mean some serious committed people that will actually purchase these when the work is all said and done. When I do something like this I dont make a whole lot of money on it in the first place, so having committed buyers lined up to atleast cover my costs is always great.
For pieces I make for my Camaro forum I require atleast 2 pre paid pre orders, but I wont hold you guys to their mistakes and give you all a fresh start. But please dont burn me. The reason I require that over there is because I got burned for over $1500 at one point for R&Ding a part when only a hand full of people actually stood up and bought the parts, after I went through the time trouble and money of making it available.

The pillar in question will be a true FULL pillar gauge pod, and in that I mean it will be replacing your factory pillar. Sorry, its the only way I can figure out how to make it a quality part. Besides I think its a nice change as compared to the slip over ones out there for other applications.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you by chance have any detailed drawings of what the final product will look like?

I'm potentially interested, but I'm not sure it'll work for me...I have an A-pillar mounted spotlight that I intend to install someday, and I have a feeling that there won't be a space between gauges for the spotlight shaft to go through. But, if there's by chance any way to accommodate this, I would be interested...

Also, I imagine that more orders would lower the price, but any ballpark figures?

Thanks! ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I thought someone made them for the 87-90 body trucks??? If not then I'll work on making one of those too. But the problem with the newer trucks is that the A pillar trim runs all the way over the doors and in turn is a HUGE piece. So I'll have to figure out a way of making that one.

For pricing I really need to make one before I price them out, because like I said I dont make a whole lot of money on this stuff, I just do it for the fun of helping people with their projects, and making a little extra to help me with my projects. So what I do is figure out how much material is used to cast the piece, and figure out a price to spread out the molding material cost, and then my time involved in making them. My time involved is the only part where I make any money on them.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im hoping to keep the cost of them close to that of the pillar pods already made out there for the 91-97 trucks. So between that price ($70) and say $100, for a ballpark figure. How does that sound to you guys?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as you have one made for the 87 model PM me. I have a overlay unit that looks like crap. I think I can find one for my 92 crew cab but that one will be a while off as it is stock for now.

zpd307

Reaction score
i have only found them for 92-97s. someone advised me that they got it to fit the 87-91s with some modding. where have you found one to fit.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have only found them for 92-97s. someone advised me that they got it to fit the 87-91s with some modding. where have you found one to fit.

I could only get the two gauge pillar at the time and it took some work to make it fit. I had to trim it and use my heat gun to bend it in some area. I also have it anchored with screws to hold it to the pillar securely here is a pic.

Attachments

• 100_0068.jpg
    100_0068.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_0067.jpg
    100_0067.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 35

zpd307

Reaction score
i was/am looking for the full a piller piece. although those will work, i like the cleaner look of the one piece. i wont be putting gauges in until i put the turbo on, so it will be in the spring/ summer.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree I would prefer a nice clean one piece unit, but they didn't make one for my truck. I needed my gauges as my factory gauges as I'm sure everyone else will agree about factory gauges sucked.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like one, but I need it yesterday. I could be down for one. I guess thats not the answer your looking for though.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could use one for each of my two trucks....an '85 and an '88. Please let me know the final price for each before you make anything so I can authorize it.
The '85 has tan interior and the '88 has a medium blue interior.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
^^^ Yep you're right on there. I will be molding them in a neutral color, kind of an off white yellowish shade. Its very easy to cover with just about anything.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the smart way to do it. Then you can paint it to match your interior properly when you get it. The dash pads in the 80-86 trucks are vinyl, but the front face of the dash is painted at the factory for what ever color the interior had.

I opted to make an overhead gauge pod for mine, so I don't need a pillar pod, but it sounds like great idea and best of luck to you.