79 F-350 IDI build

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some posts from the other thread:

Well im still well within the confines of the planning (dreaming) stage. But i have a knack for getting parts here and there once i decide on what i want / need. Fighting some court issues, and been working at a inbetween job for some months now. So far i have a 6.9 sitting on an engine stand under a tarp lol. But i have alot of contacts that i can get heavy equiptment parts and machine work done cheaper and easier than most. My problem is real lack of any first hand knowledge of what will work and what wont, there is a shop nearby that used to have a rep for building a pretty potent IDI, but it seems theyve changed owners and are alot more interested in money than talking about projects and sharing know-how.
But if there are some turbo gurus hangin around, or anyone that knows a good place to start looking for info im all ears. I really dont have any experience with turbos, but i know how to do research and i have a solid idea of what i want.

Oh as far as the overall outcome, a daily drivable 400hp IDI would fit the bill just fine. That may be overly optomistic, and theres always sacrifices, but you have to start somewhere.

I'm not sure how easy 400hp is but I do know 300-350hp is pretty easily attainable. Also, I'm not a turbo guru but I'm a firm believer that the turbo is the biggest bottle neck on our engines. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48739

His turbo system that he build seems to boost really well. Also, I posted a link on the last page to a compound setup a guy named Barney built. It had a Banks system in the normal spot and a PSD turbo under his bed. It also boosted really well too. I believe I read that he had 7psi at idle and regulated it to 20psi max and couldn't get his egts above 650*. Those PSD turbo seem like a pretty good match to our enginges. It just takes a lil fab work. They also seem to boost faster in the remote mount spot. Maybe after the exhaust expands it spools the turbo better. :dunno

Also check out typ4. He sells a good cam and Agnem is the guy to get ahold of for fuel needs. His Moose products are really good. But anyway idk if you read through this whole build but IHDiesel445 seems to be on the right path to 400hp. It just all depends what path you take when you build your engine. ;Sweet

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the turbos go, due to how the engine is located in the truck there is zero room for "traditional" turbo piping. Some fabbed shorty header / up-pipes will be required. I have alot of stuff laid out in my head, but its hard to put into words. Now that i think about it im not sure compound turbos are the right term. Going to be sequential, one low rpm, one high rpm. Ideally looking for the low end to come in around 1400 and carry to around 2500 where the larger turbo has come in already and will carry it on to 4k+ anything beyond that is well.. extra for now. Been doing some reading and it looks like the HX35 would work well as the primary turbo with a wastegate. As far as the other... well i dont know. Not even sure at this point if i want a gated or non gated, but leaning toward a wastegate assuming the Big moose pump will perform to the standards that rumor has led us to believe. Still just floating things around at this point.
This is not a "will be done by this fall" project, more a piece together over the next 2-3 years hobby / project. All future helpfulness and patience will be appreciated.

Edit: Oh one option im considering for the high end turbo is the DT-466. We put one on my buddies 01 stroker with really good results, but as his was mostly stock, im not sure just how ideal it would work on my application.

Last edited: