77 F250 diesel swap question

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll

Im new to the forum, I figured it was time to join since i always seem to find my here when I have truck problems.

Im planning on building a 70's model highboy and I want to drop a diesel into it. Im planning on a 7.3 IDI turbo, with a ZF5(or ZF6 if i get a wild hair). I have heard that in the 90s model 460's and IDI's shared similar motor mounts/frame bolt holes. So if you could pull a 460 from say a 95 F250 and put it in a 76 F250, would you be able to put an IDI from the 90's into a F250 from the 70's that had a 460 assuming the 460 and IDI use the same mounts/mounting hole? Maybe its just wish full thinking, cause that would make things way to easy and we cant have that can we. LOLLOLLOL I have found a few guys that have swapped in IDI but not any info on the build. And will the ZF bell housing clear the fire wall? If any of you guy got any info all is appreciated, thank

J

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the diesel mounts are mounted farther forward then the 460 mounts. all gas mounts on the fords from 80-96 have there own mounts mounted behind the crossmember, while the diesel mounts are mounted on the crossmember.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I had to make my own engine mounts. There was just no good way at all to make the stock 351m engine mounts work in the '79 / 6.9 swap that I did.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also remember that the high boy models had a different frame width than the "low boy" models did. My 79' F250 has the same frame width as my 91' F250 truck. I'm sure someone will chime in with dimensions. I got rid of my 76 high boy so long ago that I don't remember exact widths.

alex211

Reaction score
We put a 7.3 into my buddies 77 hi boy, It went fairly smoothly.

You have to cut a big notch in the crossmember for oil pan clearance. Then we just fabricated some frame mounts to use the IDI's original motor mounts.

You must be registered for see images attach

The transmission is a 2wd ZF5 which uses the stock center drive shaft with a conversion u-joint to mate to the ZF5. The original transmission crossmember will work with the zf5. Remember when you build the engine mounts it needs to sit at the same angle the original drivetrain did or you will get a driveline vibration from the center driveshaft.

Here is how the engine fits, the original fuel filter was ditched for a frame mounted filter and the alternator is a 3g off a ford taurus. For the clutch the master cylinder off the donor truck was mounted on the firewall, then a bolt and gusset was welded to the clutch pedal to connect to the original master cylinder pushrod. We also shortened the hydraulic hose between the master cylinder and slave cylinder. The donor trucks battery tray bolted in for the second battery, the battery cables also swapped right over.

The truck also has a Dana 60 front axle from a 79 f350, a f150 power steering box was mounted to the frame. Then a ballistic high steer arm is on the 60 for cross over steering. It drives a million times better than the original power assist did.

Rear axle is a 14 bolt, built custom spring mounts to eliminate the blocks and add 1" of lift. No more axle wrap.

Hope that info helps you out a little.