7 pin plug wiring?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Electric brakes are not low amp power though. Reccommended to use a 30A CB for supply to the controller, and, 10 gauge wire. To the controller and from the controller to the connector, and on back to the brakes themselves.
James
My truck came with the tow package, so the factory harness under the dash for the brake controller is fed by a 30 amp maxi fuse so it's good to go. It would be nice if they made a drop in blade type circuit breaker for maxis. Do those exist? I'd rather have a resetting CB than a maxi on the trailer brakes.

----------Robert

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Scott, I do this for a living. Electrical/electronic diagnosis and installation. You be happy with what you know, I will be happy with what I know. Maybe we will be better off thinking we're each idiots :) Seriously, all the manufacturers have used a slightly different version than what that etrailer says since at least early nineties. I realize that does not include your truck. Initial brake draw typically is low. It increases drastically the longer the brakes are on and the smaller the wiring. Going down a steep hill loaded will bring the draw up. NO you shouldn't use the brakes all the way down but should a situation arrive where you need them, high draw.
James

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Ok I'm the poophead on the diagrams :fan: Upon closer inspection, I see that they have you looking at the wiring end, not the business end.
Like I said before, I do diagnosis, I am used to doing this a little different :rolleyes:
Sorry!
James

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Scott, I do this for a living. Electrical/electronic diagnosis and installation.

I did too until early 2000 when I hung it up. Worked evenings in a garage with a guy who was a Ford service manager for 25 years. Funny thing was, he would no longer work on a Ford...go figure!!!

Anyway, mine works, my wiring is as good as anything you will find around here - not knocking you, just this area, most think I am paranoid about it, I just like to do it once. Not that it really matters, but my first degree was in electronics engineering, been a few years though, but I don't have any problems with a simple trailer connector! :) I am not sure what you are calling high load, but I just checked three different brake controllers and the feed line to the brakes are 12 ga Jordan and Prodigy and 14 ga for another one I have, Brake Smart IIRC. And while I haven't hauled it all, I have maxed my trailer out a time or two and I live on a hill that has a 3/4 mile downgrade to the paved road. I have NEVER seen over 8 AMPS on my controller ampmeter! So yes, as you said, I will continue my way. ;Sweet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok I'm the poophead on the diagrams :fan: Upon closer inspection, I see that they have you looking at the wiring end, not the business end.
Like I said before, I do diagnosis, I am used to doing this a little different :rolleyes:
Sorry!
James

:) Oh well, I just know this setup works for me...and about 20 different factory trailers I have pulled with my vehicles that I had NOTHING to do with the wiring of!