7.3l IDI Turbo vs 6.5l Detroit

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I would give the 7.3 a shot way before a 6.5/6.2. My father had the same experiance as mentioned above about crank failure:puke:

Also as mentioned above take a look at the Dodge stuff, but dont limit your self to 93. I have seen many cases where a decent first gen (88-93) Dodge will bring more money than a equaly clean and equiped second gen (94-02) just because its more rare. I personaly like the second gen stuff better because of improved everything! In my opinion of course. Parts availability for the first gens is getting bad and will only get worse, other wise I would most likely have one just because its a classic.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Getcha a 80s Military M1009.They get 20-24MPG stock,some have govloks(think military spec detroits),6.2L driptroit,automatic direct drive final,208 transfer,solid front and rears with manual hubs,No frills but they work and sip fuel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Here's another one she sent me via text........
if the wife sees it, I'm dead.

Dang it Calvin! Now I just had to go in and wake up my wife and tell her to slap me for what I was thinkin' WOOO!:sly :rotflmao

But seriously here, You couldn't give me a GM diesel. I used to have one of their V6 4.3L chevy celebrity diesels. was a nice little car, but a slightest little overheat and the thing was history , stupid injection molded aluminum heads could not be repaired, had to be replaced. $1500 each for new castings, way more than the car was worth. It went by-by.
But even before that , it had a nasty habit of leaving us stranded. It always seemed to know when we were someplace really out of the way and it was Sunday. It got to the point where we were convinced the car had been programmed by the motel industry. Talk about craptastic designing -cuss

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions. I decided against the power stroke for sure because i don't want to spend $350 a pop on an injector job. So basically I can decide between a 1994 7.3l Idi Turbo or a 1994 Silverado 6.5l.

I'm basically looking for a reliable engine with decent fuel economy that has at least some ability to make more power.

Which is easier to mod etc.. and help its great thanks.

What part of KY are you in? I knew where there were a couple of good deals at, but they might be pretty far from you.

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
What part of KY are you in? I knew where there were a couple of good deals at, but they might be pretty far from you.

Northern Kentucky.. i haven't to many around here lately i just sold my car so i'm lookin for powerstrokes.

DragRag

Reaction score
Can you run 50/50 waste motor oil and diesel in a 6.2 or 6.5? I want to give it a shot in this Chebby I just bought. I heard the fuel lines were a little small was the problem. Can anyone confirm this? I want to try running what I have in my trap wagon in this thing.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
you're a funny guy:backoff
Seriously though, most of them come in to see my business partner. He's the silver-tounged devil. I get the likes of Big Jake and Drag Rag hanging out here as well as quite a few other regular lookin' bubba types.
Here's another one she sent me via text........
if the wife sees it, I'm dead.

Any chance of her being there next Monday when I'll be trying to stop by? I can try and leave the wife somewhere.....;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you run 50/50 waste motor oil and diesel in a 6.2 or 6.5? I want to give it a shot in this Chebby I just bought. I heard the fuel lines were a little small was the problem. Can anyone confirm this? I want to try running what I have in my trap wagon in this thing.
that's news to me. yes, the feed line is 1/4" but that doesn't make it too restrictive for fuel.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope.
brand new Altima hybrid.:puke:

eh. lost a little respect for her there.. figured she was one of those high maint girls with an expensive car.. does my mazda rx7 count as a hybrid with a mopar 360 in it? :) (good ice breaker, id just leave the big ass motor and no smog part out.)