7.3l IDI Turbo vs 6.5l Detroit

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions. I decided against the power stroke for sure because i don't want to spend $350 a pop on an injector job. So basically I can decide between a 1994 7.3l Idi Turbo or a 1994 Silverado 6.5l.

I'm basically looking for a reliable engine with decent fuel economy that has at least some ability to make more power.

Which is easier to mod etc.. and help its great thanks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 6.5 you chose is one of the more unreliable versions.
computerized 6.5's are very finicky to heat and fuel quality.
non-computerized GM 6.2/6.5's are a better choice for fuel economy but the cooling systems must be upgraded or you will own a paperweight.

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
the 6.5 you chose is one of the more unreliable versions.
computerized 6.5's are very finicky to heat and fuel quality.
non-computerized GM 6.2/6.5's are a better choice for fuel economy but the cooling systems must be upgraded or you will own a paperweight.

Thanks man you seem to always have good advice.
and i'm sorry but who's the chick on your display pic lol

zpd307

Reaction score
doesnt the 6.5 use a timing chain also? i was thinking for awhile on trying to find a 90's diesel suburban to haul the herd around and started reading up on the 6.5. the computered injector pumps are outrageously exspensive. the cooling system needs attention. then there is the module that needs the heat sink remounted just to get a little more life out of it. and still there isnt a whole lot of power there. i wouldnt mind a centerion f350.......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesnt the 6.5 use a timing chain also? i was thinking for awhile on trying to find a 90's diesel suburban to haul the herd around and started reading up on the 6.5. the computered injector pumps are outrageously exspensive. the cooling system needs attention. then there is the module that needs the heat sink remounted just to get a little more life out of it. and still there isnt a whole lot of power there. i wouldnt mind a centerion f350.......
there's a solid timing gear upgrade to get rid of the timing chain setup.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The 6.2/6.5s are great on fuel and cheap to fix, but won't win a power contest and definitely don't like to be run hot. Seem to hold together well when modified; marine versions are up to 400hp and Heath Diesel is making history by using one to run the Duramaxes down on the Salt Flats.

The 6.9/7.3 IDIs advantages, aside of the size, are that they have strong blocks and (to me anyway) gear driven camshafts. The fuel injection components are easier to get to, and you are starting with more power from the get go. In stock form they don't mpg as good as the GMs but with a well tuned pump and proper gearing they can. Like the GMs, they don't like to be overheated. The head gaskets have a tendency to pop.

zpd307

Reaction score
the timing gear upgrade is about $500 and the cooling system uprade is about $450. and these are just to get it more reliable.......

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
the name is Trina. She's a handfull of a customer.

Lol a handful is right :p

and hmm ya basically the chevy's are alot closer but i think i'm going to call that guy in georgia with the 7.3l and offer him 3k 3.5k at the most and see what he says. If not i guess i'll either have to wait or make due with a chevy that is for sale closer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a confession from a hardcore GM nut. the computerized 6.5 is not going to do you any favors in the long run.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If You are still looking for a truck with a good reliable engine that Will make good power and be easy to work on then buy a 89-93 dodge, You won't be disappointed. I have a sentimental attachment to My 93 Ford so I swap the 1st gen engine in it. The 6.5l I know they yield good mpg but I'm not sure they have much power for a work truck.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As EZ said don't discount the Dodge/Cummins combo or stuffing a Cummins in anything else.

Read Towkittens sig for my quote about my last truck (1995 Dodge 2500)... They are pretty bullet proof for me. But then again I wasn't shoving windshield washer fluid down her intake with a firehose though....

Now I won't steer you away from the IDI, I loved mine and will own another in the future, I just won't try to make it into a sports car, I was doing things to it that really shouldn't be done or shall I say can be done but not with a mentality of "Some is good, more is better and most is best"

The IDI is reliable, gets pretty decent fuel mileage and has decent pulling power - now they ain't gonna be first on race day but they will get there and back. The IDI's are very simple to work on - I'm proof positive to that.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If You are still looking for a truck with a good reliable engine that Will make good power and be easy to work on then buy a 89-93 dodge, You won't be disappointed. I have a sentimental attachment to My 93 Ford so I swap the 1st gen engine in it. The 6.5l I know they yield good mpg but I'm not sure they have much power for a work truck.

X2 on that. I had a 89 CTD dually and aside of the horrible ride, it was a great truck. Even my wife loved that one. I got over 20 mpg with a T flite and no overdrive with 4.10s; not speedy, but hey, wasn't meant to be.

By the by, you don't necessarily have to go to a gear drive with the GM, a good chain and gear set works fine.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the 6.9/7.3 is about the most reliable diesel i've seen (reason why i chose it for the Scout swap). the cummins a close #2 the only problems it has is it's in a dodge and it's not IH.... the GM 6.5/6.2 doesn't even place! :rotflmao i've heard stories about low milage 6.5s numerously cracking heads and snapping cranks to the point owners swapped a 350 in for better reliability. while i worked at the dealership i saw one come in after wiping out the main bearings, after a full rebuild 3 months later it came in on the hook with a broken crank.:rolleyes:

but hey it's your money...
-Jon LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online