7.3 vs 6.9 fuel filter head

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 7.3 filter has a built in water separator?

Will the 7.3 filter head bolt to the 6.9 location?
Bolt pattern the same?
fuel fittings the same?

I know the filter is different, because I bought one on accident once.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure everything but the threads are the same, and yes it does have an integral water separator.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Barney I've looked at a lot of filters and if I was you if you wanted the water seperator I would find a generic one cause you can get them same specs but a whole lot cheaper if you just get the right filter head

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 7.3 filter has a built in water separator?

Will the 7.3 filter head bolt to the 6.9 location?
Bolt pattern the same?
fuel fittings the same?

I know the filter is different, because I bought one on accident once.

Yep, mine bolted right in place. Bolt pattern is the same, fuel fitting is the same. The filter has an end cap that you re-use. I use the Wix filter with the drain valve in it and water sender port. The head also has a fuel heater in it. If you get one, try to get the wires that plug into it as well, they have some strange plugs on it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here's what you need to consider. If you do go with the 7.3 filter header, you're pretty much guaranteed you can get a filter whenever and wherever you need one. Coverage from NAPA/Carquest(wix products) and Baldwin among other less premium brands guarantee that. However have you priced 7.3 filters? They are very spendy! I think $20.00 is about average. If you get something like the Racor system you may get stuck without a filter. When I had mine I always had to stock up on them. They were also really expensive and just hard to get. I know you can buy other setups for cheaper. H2odrx posted a link to one shop in his area of NC that had a marine diesel setup for cheap that looked pretty good. Again, the question is what's it worth to you to be able to get a filter whenever and wherever you need one and only need one in stock that you carry in your truck for emergencies versus having to stockpile 2-3 at a time, which also gets expensive. Have aI made it clear as mud yet?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Baldwin BF1259 and filter head to filter my WMO with, i was wondering one of these on the truck, is there anywhere a filter this tall will fit? Does someone have a model number of a smaller water seperator that will fit somewhere else on the truck?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could mount with a bracket to the frame near the fuel tank leaving filter in a sideways position. Only problem with that is it would be a little messy switching filters

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
eventually im going to go with a dual filter set up from fleetgaurd on my truck fs1000 and a ff5319 and get rid of the stock filters but i havent figured out where to put them yet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could mount with a bracket to the frame near the fuel tank leaving filter in a sideways position. Only problem with that is it would be a little messy switching filters

I did that on the Moosestang, but used a bracket to mount it upright like normal. Has an interesting side affect of not suffering from air leaks when there is a return cap problem.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I also have a perma-cool on mine, the tank selector output/input crosses the frame, and the filter mounts about parallel to it. I got it at Jegs or Summit. It is a water separator and filter, runs about $35 for the whole outfit and $14 for filters. I then ran pro-flex from there to the engine compartment, right up to the fitting on the 7.3 filter head.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I was suggesting using a filter from napa which would still be easy to get anywhere and cheaper then the $40 they want for the 7.3 filter

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I was suggesting using a filter from napa which would still be easy to get anywhere and cheaper then the $40 they want for the 7.3 filter

That's what I am using. Any Wix dealer or Napa can get them, they keep them in stock locally, but not sure about abroad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online