7.3 vbelt to serp swap

89banks

Reaction score
Was looking for an opinion on this,

I was thinking I should be able to buy the 93-94 turbo idi accessories and run a serp belt setup. I didnt know if anyone has done this and thought it was worth the hassle.

My view on it.

1. single belt is easier to change on the road and have a spare in the truck.
2. I think the 94 trucks had a 134a compressor
3. I can get a high output alternator w the serp for a possible electric fan conversion

my concerns:

I need all brackets and accessories from an engine I dont have nor are there many donors of. (do the powerstroke accs fit)
- may need new AC lines for the later pump (im ok with that, I can make my own but its still a factor)
- will i need new PS lines? I know the vacuum pump on those motors is located left of center instead of on the bottom right.

thanks for the info.
sal

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Its been done many times. I did it to my 89 rig. Three important items you don't have now that will swap over are the ac compressor and the alternator. you might be able to swap the vacuum pump if you modify it some. Now you will need the aluminum mounts for the alt and the ac power steering pump and vacuum pump. If you find a donor engine make sure you save the bolts for everything. These are special hardened bolts and special lengths too. Finally your going to need the ac low and high pressure hoses and the manifold that bolts to the back of the compressor. Might find most of the needed parts on ebay.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, the serpentine belt has more power to drive a larger alternator. If that is a priority, then it would be worth it. But I will never change my truck to a serpentine belt. A guy I work with has been stranded twice with his 94. Once for the A/C compressor clutch bearing going bad, and one other time for the idler pulley bearing going bad. With a serpentine, if you have a problem you are stuck.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna add this to what Gary said about vacuum pump.
Had my vacuum pump go bad, went to local salvage yard got a pump from a engine that had V-belts. Took the V-belt pulley off and tried to press my serp. belt pulley on.
It did not work, the shaft sizes are just a little different.
So just beware, welcome aboard, the S.S. OB.