Diesel junky
Reaction score
How much realistic HP will you gain with the?:

10K mod
3" downpipe
3/16" FP shim
cold air intake
gutted CAT

Today when I was getting the 7.3 ready to come out I was looking at the turbo, the EBP valve was about 1/3 open with the engine off. What actuates this and how can you test it to make sure it's not stuck?....I haven't bought a 7.3 PSD book yet....insert slap here....I must hit up my coworkers for some of their IH books.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much realistic HP will you gain with the?:

10K mod
3" downpipe
3/16" FP shim
cold air intake
gutted CAT

I've seen dyno sheets with the 10K mod alone and no other mods that would produce 25 hp and 50 lbs of tq between 10K installed and 10 not installed. The gutted cat, open intake and downpipe probably give more realistic gains on lowering EGT's and have little to no effect on HP/TQ. The FP shim is a good mod to insure that you have adequate fuel to fill the injectors on each pulse.

Today when I was getting the 7.3 ready to come out I was looking at the turbo, the EBP valve was about 1/3 open with the engine off. What actuates this and how can you test it to make sure it's not stuck?....I haven't bought a 7.3 PSD book yet....insert slap here....I must hit up my coworkers for some of their IH books.

The EBV is actuated on EOT sensor and EBP sensor. It usually wont "stick" since it is hydraulically actuated but sometimes it will be in the incorrect position for the operating conditions of the engine. If the EBP tube located on the front bottom site of the passengers manifold is plugged with soot the EBP sensor will get the wrong signal and can cause the valve to close at the wrong time. There is an electrical connection on the drivers side (compressor side) of the turbo under the intake tube that is the fire wire for the solenoid that opens the oil to the piston actuator. You can unplug that and the EBPV will stay in the open position at all times.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out...I really need to get a book for this thing this week...LOL....Funny thing is I'm Cummins trained on the ISB, C and L engines but with the price of the Cummins parts I'll stick with my PSD thankyou...LOL...We just put a VP44 pump on an FL80 this week...$4200cdn REMAN from Cummins!!!!.....Yikes.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will these mods work witha chip installed already?
10K mod no, the chip will already boost injection pressure but the FPR mod is a good one to do if you have a chip.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but is the FPR different from the IPR. Also is the fuel filter bowl different between the OBS & super duty?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes Scott. FPR = Fuel pressure regualtor and IPR = Injection Pressure Regulator.

The FPR controls the low pressure side of the deal prior to fuel being introduced to the injectors. The IPR controls the oil side of the equation and has a sensor on the oil rail that controls the IPR valve located on the HPOP.

The 10K mod fools the IPR sensor into "thinking" that injection pressure is lower than it is so it steps the IPR valve up a hair to overcome this precieved low pressure condition.

The FPR mod is a mechanical mod that increases the fuel pressure, it ensures that when your injector solenoid opens and calls for fuel that there is adquate pressure there to fill it full before the solenoid closes and the piston begins its travel downward to inject the fuel.

Here is a link to the FPR mod for the 99+ trucks. FPR Mod.

Hope this helps you a little.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
As usual, you're a wealth of knowledge!:hail :hail :hail Headed for Home Depot tomorrow maybe. Gotta find a gauge too. Thanks......again.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to be of some help. ;Sweet

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but is the FPR different from the IPR. Also is the fuel filter bowl different between the OBS & super duty?

Homer took care of the first ;Sweet ....the filter bowl on the SD physically bolts thru the oil resivour and the OBS dosen't.

re: the 10k...some engines really don't benift much and others seem to really come alive cookoo .....it will however change the way the engine idles and responds to throttle input , especially off idle.

Regardless of else you do, the exhaust-intake-downpipe and fuel press mods are worth the effort ;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Regardless of else you do, the exhaust-intake-downpipe and fuel press mods are worth the effort ;Sweet

whats the exhaust intake downpipe mod? I got 4" front to back & a Tymar. Haven't done the zoo dad because I put the tymar in. Is that what you mean?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Cool.

Bigrigtech, sorry for the highjacking but hopefully some of my questions were ones you'd have asked too. Anyway, I'll pipe down now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online