7.3 n/a

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my buddy just got a 1991 f250 7.3 idi n/a 5 speed. He told me the guy he got from said he replaced the injection pump. He put an egt gauge in it and also said the pump was turned up a flat or 2. He said his egts with stock exhaust is at 900 on a steep his half way on the throttle. Are they suppose to be higher then that? It barley puts out any black smoke unless it has a load on it. It's times really far retarded for some reason or another. Pump is an auto parts store.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I think most try to keep them under 1200; that's with the sensor on the rear of the driver's exhaust manifold bank. N/A's can run hotter easier than a turbo because they don't have the extra air flow. I think I've got my injection pump turned up a couple-ish flats, and with the turbo, the most I've gotten the egt's up to is around 950 towing.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Setting the timing correctly will bring the egts down, but you’re well within operating temperatures already

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Setting the timing correctly will bring the egts down, but you’re well within operating temperatures already

Ill have to get my timing stuff out for him. Can you still get a high idle switch for theses? The previous owner wired it to a manual switch and it's all messed up.