7.3 injection hardline, where to buy / can I make these myself?

Rogue

Reaction score
Yesterday the hardline going to Injector #1 on my '92 7.3 burst open and it started spraying fuel all over my engine bay. It appears that the line got twisted at some point and it finally just popped open. I've been trying all day to get one off of the parts engine I have without twisting it up but but so far the PB Blaster hasn't broken it loose yet.

Is there a source for these lines that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (dealers want absurd amounts of money for these things)? Are these capable of being made by hand, like a bubble flare, or would that leak?

Thanks for you help!

-Joe

p.s. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section before, I somehow put it in the "tech articles" section. My apologies for that.

UPDATE: I managed to get the line off of the spare engine intact. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you get the correct fittings it can be made but you have to make sure its the same length as the oe one if not the timing will be off but check ebay usually cheep on there

kb1jid

Reaction score
I have a brand new one you can have for 25.00 and I only live about 20 miles from you. Let me know PS I also have a complete set of new line clamps for 20.00 for the set

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Add some heat to the nut. Ot buy the one that offred 20 miles from you. If one is bad and twists off its a sure thing others are going to do the same. Makeing a line is nearly impossible. These are made with the flares as part of the line itself. Make sure all four line clamps are in place or other lines will break from fuel vibration pulses. This cost me almost $400.00 when I left off the clamps on the drivers side lines and number 2 line broke. The dealer robbed me way back when I knew nothing about these engines.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new one you can have for 25.00 and I only line about 20 miles from you. Let me know
Better grab that one, most even on ebay are about $50.
Make sure you have the clamps on those lines, if not they break from vibration.
They are almost impossible to make, each line is a specific length, and they have cone shaped ends, they have to withstand 3000 PSI.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Try backing the injector with a wrench. I have actually seen the injector line connection tightened to a greater torque than the injector itself. When the line was loosened, the injector spun with it and twisted the line up as you described.

Rogue

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I got the one off the spare engine. I found out that the little extension piece that ford puts on the #1 injector was spinning so all I had to do was put a wrench on that. Thanks for the advice on the line clamps, currently the truck has none, I'll pull those from the spare and install them on my truck as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that is the line you broke, then try to get one off of an IDI van motor of the same displacement. That line will not require the stupid pulse adapter that no one can make use of anyway.

Rogue

Reaction score
If that is the line you broke, then try to get one off of an IDI van motor of the same displacement. That line will not require the stupid pulse adapter that no one can make use of anyway.

Already fixed. Adapter is harmless as long as it's tightened and you know it's there. Good to know though.