7.3 idi outlasting all other components

northerntruckguy

Reaction score
love my 1994 Ford 4 x 4 ext cab with 7.3 idi with factory turbo Has anyone else found that almost everything else has to be replaced sometimes twice because a lot of parts are being made in China. Going for a Million miles have 250,000 on it now no problems with motor at all runs strong and clean

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know how ya feel. I've been working on mine again after being stalled out for almost two years due to finances. Changed the oil, primed the pump and she fired right up. Hasn't been started in 2 years and she runs just like the day I parked her. Can't beat a good old truck.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually made the mistake of forgetting that when I bought my 94! Lol
I was thinking about the engine (203k miles) and forgot the truck was still 20 years old.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I still got tons to do to mine and I have a spare engine for it as well that I intend to have built should I get that far.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I chuckle when I read the ads that say "diesel engine with ONLY 200k miles! Just broke in!" And as an owner of a 240k miles truck, I know the rest of it wasn't build to last that long.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I've been accumulating spares since buying it. It's the last truck I want to buy and want to keep it roadworthy for as long as I can.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Mine is just short of 370k miles. Engine is tired, but truck is doing suprisingly well, even has one original joint in rear driveshaft.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 421k on it. Slowly but surely replacing everything but the engine.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh so true don't have to lift the cab off to change and 8 injectors for the price of one for the new trucks transmissions made in China ect ect
thanks for the reply how many mile on your unit?

I just rolled over 470 000 kilometers on my last set of days off. Engine was rebuilt at 400k due to a glow plug incident but still ran fine at that point.

Recent scores include correct era OEM doors, fenders, hood, valance and good windscreen for a steal a deal. A box is slowly being restored to swap over. Its coming together and it will look like new again. All it takes is time.

Its by far one of the ugliest trucks in town with primer patches, rust holes and faded paint but its always running within the first full turn even after sitting for a month. It tracks straight as an arrow and the E4OD is still holding up fine too.

Some day 100 years from now they will have an entry in the dictionary for the word "reliable". Next to that word shall be an IDI diesel.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My odometer reads 380,??? (I'd have to look) , but the current engine came from a '90, which i was told had 600,000+ . needs to be freshened up,but it'll do till i get my project engine finished

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is just short of 370k miles. Engine is tired, but truck is doing suprisingly well, even has one original joint in rear driveshaft.
howd you do that? mine had all 3 joints bad @ 59000 miles.used that as a way to bargain the price down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle