7.3 idi non turbo truck i just bought

Kodeman

Reaction score
Hello all. I picked up a 1992 f250 4x4 with the 7.3 and a 5 speed. I had a question for you guys. The guy i bought it from said the motor only has 20K miles on it. (yeah yeah yeah) Well when i start the truck up it shoots out a good amount of white/blue/black smoke. Then just idling it doesnt shoot out any till i hit the throttle and let off. Then once its warn it doesnt really smoke at all or if i restart the truck once warm i have no smoke. any idea whats causing this? rings, heads,air in fuel sys? any help would be great thank you. Kodi

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Typically what you're describing sounds like injectors to me. If the engine really does only have 20K on it, then these injectors are TOO old. LOL

Kodeman

Reaction score
he said when the motor was rebuilt it got a new IP and injectors, they dont look like the originals to me. looks as if they have been changed out. new GP's for sure. Motor runns perfect except for the smoking, doesnt miss a lick and sounds very tight.

tractorman86

Reaction score
no smoke at all even on a wide open throttle attempt at a hill? mel, if the timing is retarded too far wont it puff a little white at startup?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Mine had no smoke at WOT when it was NA and no smke now at WOT with the turbo......not sure if thats normal though. I always get a **** on startup....

Thad

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the smoke usually comes from a leaker or two if it is startup only. That, or maybe some oil leaked down a valve stem seal. :dunno The blue smoke on the Moose Truck in my avatar is from 3 leaky injectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online