7.3.idi build

503sp01

Reaction score
My new idi has head gasket seeping exhaust into the coolant I'm thinking about doing a rering job in it with head studs then a diy turbo kit from r&d just trying to figure out what turbo to use I want to keep it about 20psi boost

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
My new idi has head gasket seeping exhaust into the coolant I'm thinking about doing a rering job in it with head studs then a diy turbo kit from r&d just trying to figure out what turbo to use I want to keep it about 20psi boost
Pm no mufflers. He said hes got a banks sidewinder for sale

Are you turboed now?

I believe a factory turbo ats088 can get 18# givin enough fuel and if the up pipes are not leaking

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pm no mufflers. He said hes got a banks sidewinder for sale

Are you turboed now?

I believe a factory turbo ats088 can get 18# givin enough fuel and if the up pipes are not leaking
Ats 088(all sealed up finally) 90cc pump/stage1 injectors can see 18-19 psi wot 3000 rpms lol I think a factory turbo may do better though as they build boost faster but I'm not sure the limit of them as far as boost in the higher rpms wish I had one though the 088 doesn't really boost much till 2000 rpms(not ideal to me) it get the job done though. 0-2psi1000-1500 5psi1500-2000 2000-3500 5-19psi after 2k it takes off though! Lol

shawn deere

Reaction score
Ats 088(all sealed up finally) 90cc pump/stage1 injectors can see 18-19 psi wot 3000 rpms lol I think a factory turbo may do better though as they build boost faster but I'm not sure the limit of them as far as boost in the higher rpms wish I had one though the 088 doesn't really boost much till 2000 rpms(not ideal to me) it get the job done though. 0-2psi1000-1500 5psi1500-2000 2000-3500 5-19psi after 2k it takes off though! Lol
And theres waste gate vs non waste gate also.

Please tell me you have studs pelky, lol

Ill report once im sealed up n studded. - next week hopefully

Ats wastegated-blocked-wired shut even, big exhaust, stock ip/injectors, WW2

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No studs yet I want to find a rebuild motor on Craigslist to stud/cam and reseal and make look nice to drop in at a later day I see them fairly often around here. It's surviving so far I don't run wot all day usually keep it around 5 psi in town and maybe 10-12 getting on highway I know it's a ticking(literallyLOL) timebomb lol

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
093 is same as factory setup only difference is when 093 is bought I think I comes with a 3 inch downpipe not a sqished pipe like factory comes with

shawn deere

Reaction score
Good to know head bolts can survive at 19# for a short time at least!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good! I will have my intercooler in soon so psi will drop a couple which is probably good in my case lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, both the factory ATS kit and a Banks Sidewinder, Wastegated are both good for about 250 RWHP with appropriate fuel. Good luck trying to get any more than that out of it. Also, they are both good for about 12-15 PSI efficiently, beyond that, you are just creating a lot of heat and backpressure.

If you want to go for a real performance build, find something like an S360 with a really tight exhaust housing. I have a S360 with .63 housing on a Banks up-pipe, and it hit 30 PSI without even trying. Cleaned up a R&D 110CC pump /easily/, and will probably make 300 at the wheels with that pump. It'll probably make a lot more than that with a 150CC or bigger pump, too.
...Of course, once you start getting up beyond 350, you'd better be thinking about Powerstroke connecting rods...

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, both the factory ATS kit and a Banks Sidewinder, Wastegated are both good for about 250 RWHP with appropriate fuel. Good luck trying to get any more than that out of it. Also, they are both good for about 12-15 PSI efficiently, beyond that, you are just creating a lot of heat and backpressure.

If you want to go for a real performance build, find something like an S360 with a really tight exhaust housing. I have a S360 with .63 housing on a Banks up-pipe, and it hit 30 PSI without even trying. Cleaned up a R&D 110CC pump /easily/, and will probably make 300 at the wheels with that pump. It'll probably make a lot more than that with a 150CC or bigger pump, too.
...Of course, once you start getting up beyond 350, you'd better be thinking about Powerstroke connecting rods...
What would you think a ats 088 Is good for hp and torque? Same intake wheel as factory system but is non gated and has a larger exhaust wheel("p-trim") if the fuel is there?

503sp01

Reaction score
I would love to have a idi with 350 hp but I think since it will be a daily driver and just towing a 6k trailer once a month 250-275 will be good for me as long as I'm not the slowest one on the road I will be happy

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to have a idi with 350 hp but I think since it will be a daily driver and just towing a 6k trailer once a month 250-275 will be good for me as long as I'm not the slowest one on the road I will be happy
Oh, 250 at the wheels is /more/ than enough to haul a 6k trailer and not really care.
You'll do as well as any stock 7.3 Powerstroke out there, and probably be faster off the line if you have a manual.

Like I said, I've towed multiple times with my rig. 6K would be at the lighter end of what I mess with when using a trailer.
Last big haul was probably 8500lbs, and I was going 75+ on the highway... and that was with my clutch slipping when I floored it <_<.
I hauled a Blazer(3700lbs) on my trailer(so probably 5500-6K total), and had no trouble at all getting up to 60. It just... does it. No issues, no worries.
It's far more worrying when it's time to /stop/ that much, even with trailer breaks... The 'go' part isn't a big deal.