7.3 crankshafts

Fitzy

Reaction score
Will a 5sp trans from a 1993 7.3 idi turbo engine bolt up to a 1991 7.3 that had an E4od. Do the turbo engines have a special crankshaft.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any crank will work with any idi family trans or flywheel. ALL idi engines use the same rods and mains too. Only the turbo rods wont work in a 6.9 but they sure will fit the cranks. Problem is you need custom large pin pistons made so you can use the turbo rods in the 6.9. Mostly the turbo crank has a different balance to it for larger wrist pin balance. I used an na crank with my turbo pistons but.. I had the balance done for the heavier pistons ad wrist pins. About the only issue that sometimes comes up is some auto flywheels are the heavy cast iron and some are the lighter auto flexplates with the crank spacer. This spacer is sometimes not removed from the crank and members try to install different flywheels or flexplates and they do not fit. If you have never see this spacer you would not know it was on the crank flange. Usually a light tap with a hammer knocks them off. Careful because they are about 1 1/8 inch thick and heavy. Any auto flexplate that is the thin stamped one with the starter gear welded to it will use this spacer. No standard trans flywheel ever used this spacer.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I read that the zf being from a turbo idi, and thought he was asking about swapping the flywheel from it also. I guess. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle