7.3 bad injector/timing cause over heat/white smoke?

1990f2507.3

Reaction score
As for overheating no one can answer it but I have heard that timing can cause it to create excessive heat and I don't see paying to have it timed without new injectors first

steeldriver

Reaction score
this is a old thread and some good information. i am at a loss and so far no diesel injection shop in the country i have tried has any idea whats going on.

my injection pump was finished, unbrunt fuel, heating and no power. took 4 low to get the smoker into the shop. my guess is at least 350k on it. odomater never really worked.

i just dropped in new injection pump which should be indentical and came from a shop i have used numerous times and have heard good things from.

my problem is i am seriously over heating under load and slightly empty. carrying the same load/ trailer on same roads i went from 18 mpgs on a smoking worn injection to 10 mpgs. 200k ago it was getting 21 to 28 mpgs. heat on engine went from 180 to 235. yes i run 2 temp senors front and rear engine. speed went from 50 average to 38mph average. huge differences on performance.

every shop has said including the builder not named said to retard the timing to the pasenger side slightly. this makes sense at its where old pump was at. except for its advancing it. no change in problems.

tried putting pump line to line and absoulty no power and wants to stall on any hill empty and when below 2000 rpm.

going to "retard" it slightly and see what happens. retarding a 1/16 from what i read is 4 degrees. it was a good 3/16 advanced on old pump. 16 degree diference/ but at a loss and will turn down fuel if nothing else.

i will add this engine is the most unique idi i have come across, owned and worked on. as the internals are diferent including the cam and crank from most idis. if i recall from doing valve springs the crank is 30 degrees off from tdc. which when i rotated to facory tdc i wasnt there untill cant remembr if it was either before or after. when i changed from england "bb" code injectors to off the shelf i dropped 5 mpgs. i had 3 go bad at once. this engine when running right when i got it, had serious power and good mpgs always in the 20's or more under load. shearing driveshafts, axles, ujoints, wasnt a if but when/ often. 3 years later and 200k this engine is a gutless headache that comes down to injection/ fuel **** poor parts and used to be "trusted builders/ parts" that dont back there work.

when i get the chance going to finish calling every injection shop that i havent in the country and canada if need be to find someone that seriously knows these engines that hasnt forgotten what a "idi" is and get old pump reworked and put back in. at that point will get other pumps made to match.

i might be on my own here............................................

thanks in advance

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to get the truck properly timed. With a meter.

As for the crank being 30* off that’s impossible, there were no models or years of the idi that had a different timed crank or cam, if something is off it is due to an improper gear timing during a rebuild. Where did you get the injectors? Crap injectors will make a great running truck into a Smokey pig with no power.

steeldriver

Reaction score
trying to find a shop that can time this out but i might as well be looking for a neeedle in a haystack as i have aldready called hundreds of shops and 30 injection shops in upper midwest to get asked what is a idi and they dont know how to time it. i know eventually i will find someone.

i retarded some but still advanced 1/64 and it has dropped temps empty 35 degrees. physically theres no way this pump will trully retard without boring out bolt holes as it cant physically rotate to tdc or retarding. i tried this position before and didnt help on towing but a slight shift in alaingment can make a difrence. as far as fuel still no smoke and chuging 8 mpgs

the injectors are all good but i have 1 that is acting up and will swap it out. i have a new set ordered but they shipped it to some unknown address and trying to find it and get them to me.

and yes there was diferent cams made for these engines. international made a few hundred high altitutde motors that where set diferent on cams and possibly other internals. theres bits and pieces on the internet about this but most of which was lost when they went bankrupt and project was canned. i know this crank is off 1 hour factory top dead center. which i was surprised. why i dont know. the block and stamping numbers match nothing ever made in production. everything on this engine is original and is a hog pog of ford and international parts. just from what i gathered and found is that this was new test engine that didnt make it. i have found 3 of these and other 2 where in scrap yards blown engines. have heard of others. if i win the lotery and find a serious builder that knows the specs i want to tear down this engine and figure it out and build a few more for other trucks i have.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High altitude motors had a fuel spec change, but no other changes. If you post the block serial numbers I can tell you everything you need to know about the engine. Unless you pulled this engine out of a boat in the junkyard, it’s exactly the same as every other idi out there. You still haven’t answered where the injectors came from. Crap injectors will **** fuel into the precups instead of giving a proper atomization. This will give poor power, poor fuel economy, and you will have to work the engine so hard to achieve the same task it will easily overheat.

How are you checking tdc? It’s possible your method is inaccurate, you can’t find tdc like a gas engine or a DI diesel since you don’t have direct access to the piston through the head.

steeldriver

Reaction score
High altitude motors had a fuel spec change, but no other changes. If you post the block serial numbers I can tell you everything you need to know about the engine. Unless you pulled this engine out of a boat in the junkyard, it’s exactly the same as every other idi out there. You still haven’t answered where the injectors came from. Crap injectors will **** fuel into the precups instead of giving a proper atomization. This will give poor power, poor fuel economy, and you will have to work the engine so hard to achieve the same task it will easily overheat.

the injectors came from us diesel/ gomers diesel. untill this injection pump problem. i have never had a problem with there injectors and pumps. but as i said above they lost my new injectors. and no clear answer or refund given. i know 1 injector is acting up and has been for a while, i wsnt sure if new pump would solve it so its getting a old spare working injector till new ones come. but they have 55k hard miles on them and hundreds of hours idling. i idle the engine 2 to 6 hours every day year round as i work off of truck.

How are you checking tdc? It’s possible your method is inaccurate, you can’t find tdc like a gas engine or a DI diesel since you don’t have direct access to the piston through the head.

theres a mark on the block and mark on vibration dampner. "theres every 1/4 turn of the engine(crank) each next piston will arrive at TDC. So, When the line on the vibration damper is at the 2 oclock position, cylinders 2 and 5 will be at TDC. When the mark is at the 5 oclock position, cylinders 7 and 6 will be at TDC, 8 oclock has cylinders 3 and 8 at TDC, and back to 11oclock, 1 and 4 will be at TDC." this is how it should be. but i was a hour off. 1,4,7,10 tdc if i recal which thru me off.

not my 1st engine worked on as i do this all the time on many diesels on farms and ranches, as far where this engine came from is anyones gues. the 460 was removed around 2001 and this engine installed. it went thru 9 owners none of which could get this engine to run or stay runing. i bought it for $400. swapped a harness in and some other minor mistakes they made and did run good. even with new pump its still hard starting cold and getting plenty of fuel and glow plugs good. as old pump was going out it couldn't pull the fuel nor pressure to get going. so added a fuel bypass and high flow electric pump to purge and push fuel up to injectors. a little either goes a long ways.

block number is 73D U2 U8 06278*

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the timing marks lined up you will have 1 and 4 at tdc. 1 will be at compression and 4 will be on the exhaust, but that doesn’t matter for the time being. Pull the inspection cover off the timing cover with #1 at tdc. If everything is lined up properly the dowel on the timing gear should be at #4. If not, the cam or pump gear is has been installed a tooth off.

If you have to give it a shot of ether to fire cold then your glowplugs aren’t working or you have no compression left in the engine.

Your engine is a 7.3 “C” block, naturally aspirated, built for a ford f-series truck built in the USA. Nothing out of the ordinary

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Test” engines wouldn’t have a serial number, and wouldn’t ever be released for on road use. International didn’t go bankrupt and bury any projects, this era was the golden age of international, they were dominating the market with the dt466s and 7.3s...

steeldriver

Reaction score
With the timing marks lined up you will have 1 and 4 at tdc. 1 will be at compression and 4 will be on the exhaust, but that doesn’t matter for the time being. Pull the inspection cover off the timing cover with #1 at tdc. If everything is lined up properly the dowel on the timing gear should be at #4. If not, the cam or pump gear is has been installed a tooth off.

theres no telling whats been done over the years. i know someone messed with pump gear as housing had fresh silicoln seal when the motor was dropped in truck. old pump was adavnced just over 1/4 inch. always ran 160 to 180 loaded and idling would drop to 130. right now its running ok but will keep trying to find a way to reset timing to new pump.

If you have to give it a shot of ether to fire cold then your glow plugs aren’t working or you have no compression left in the engine.

my best guess is this engine has 350k miles or more almost all original factory parts. so its over due. heads started leaking this year an i re torqued the bolts and everything sealed back up. half the bolts where at 60 pounds or less some loose. valve springs where worn and not closing so changed them out even thouh 4 where bad. this engine is getting weak and i know that. its time for it to get rebuilt. i have built engines not sure if i want to tackle this one but finding anyone willing to build that has relevant experience is near impossible. most shops want to drop a crate motor in, that use the cheapest parts. i rather build things right, stronger an better. i got a lead on 2 crate 6.9 in a warehouse since mid 80's at a good price and trying to deicde if that a better option this winter. then rebuilding.

anyways good chat, have a good afternoon .

steeldriver

Reaction score
“Test” engines wouldn’t have a serial number, and wouldn’t ever be released for on road use. International didn’t go bankrupt and bury any projects, this era was the golden age of international, they were dominating the market with the dt466s and 7.3s...

dig thru a scrap yard and will sometimes find things. also if this was a bone stock engine, why is it performing so different then my other 2 diesels? and the hundreds i have worked on over the years. injection pumps, injectors, valves are all the same.

i do know international did use different cams, and there was some porting going on. the only way to know why this engine performs as well as it does compared to my other 2 identical trucks and several others i have access to is to tear it down as what ever is different is internal makes a serious difference in fuel and power. a worn engine should produce less power and mpg then a newer un worked engine not more.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said your performance and fuel economy changed when you installed the injectors and pump. That’s the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online