600 Cummins, what does it need?

Whit

Reaction score
OK, My wife has a new 04.5 Cummins with the 48re auto, she doesnt want it bombed but I am the caretaker maintenance wise and I am asking what needs to be done ? I aint been reading about them cuz I didnt think we would ever get one. What can you tell me about known problems and what to look for??We plan to use my 01 for all the towing needs so this 04.5 is basically just for haulin ass around here and there.

Is the stock air filter addequate?
Seams I read some time ago that there is some kind of restriction between the air filter and the compressor?
I think I can get a fuel pressure gauge in it if I put the gauge down low.

Cheers, Kevin

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere about folks upgrading the airbox and or exhaust actually made mileage go down without any fuel enhancements. I'm not sure how true that is. There is a cat under that thing that needs scarin' out I think. Most of the threads over on the TDR are folks griping about poor mileage, but it sounds like you got a good one.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
With all those new cubby holes and storage bins and fold flat spaces, did ya find a place to stow her YET??:moon: :D

lschultz

Reaction score
Cistern,Tx-2.3 miles outs of ofs highway in Fayett
Dickor is it *****- I mean Kevin I put one of those AFE drop in filters in mine. Later on I got one of those TAG and put in there.There fairly expensive but I think its worth it. I don't feel no seat of the pants difference but you can tell something is there.It does make some difference.Or just get you the complete AFE filter and change the whole thing.I think I am gonna get me a Torque Tube later on and try that.In about a week I am gonna order me a Banks 4" exhaust from DPP and put that on.Maybe you should stay out of that truck and let Elizabeth drive itLOL LOL I average from 18 to 19+ on mpg sometimes I hit 20+ if I slow down some.I proably got around 14000+on it now.

XcumminsX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont do the torque tube....Its just louder and you lose bottom end torque. And the 600 has 4" exhaust all the way threw. Dont remove the cat youll lose mpg. Get the afe stage 1 kit. Thats all..