6.9 + ZF5 owners please post your flywheel and clutch type

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First flywheel seems to look a lot like 7.3 powerstroke flywheels that are listed on ebay.
You must be registered for see images attach

The flywheel I balanced looks exactly to the one in the clutch kit. Drilled a few holes on the edge of the flywheel by the boss for imbalance. See red circle

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point I really don't know. Someone posted a link for Ford's diesel engines spare parts catalog, and it shows the crankshafts being the same. There was another link someone posted to a online magazine called "engine-builder.com" and the article was titled "International 6.9/7.3 Powerstroke". It also lists the cranks as being the same. I was going to upload and attach this article, but it's around 480kb and the attachments are limited to approx 200kb.

Is 10.5oz inbalance something designed in? I don't know. I do know the 302's were externally balanced, the early ones were 28oz and the later ones starting around 1983 were 50oz inbalance. Does that mean anything? Not really.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.5ozin would be for the flywheel, other end of the crank may be just as far off. Could be more could be less. Could be closer to 21 ozin for the whole rotating assembly. Notice the in after oz. Most aftermarket shorten it to ounces but this is really meaningless.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luk single mass setup in my rig. I've been happy with it.

The balance issue is something I did a fair amount of research on when I did my first 6.9 zf conversion and the end answer I got was it was close enough to not really matter. That swap used a 7.3 DM flywheel and at one point I went as far as to take it and a stock 6.9 flywheel to a machinist to discuss the balance issue, and the answer I got from him was that with that heavy and low revving of an engine it wasn't enough to make any difference, so I stuck it on there and went to town - no apparent issues so he must have been at least mostly right.

My 4wd truck used a new Luk SM setup and that was has gone something close like 75k miles with it again with no issues. I had the engine apart after about 60k and saw no abnormal wear on the bearings or any evidence of problems there.

I also note that Luk specs the same setup for all zf rigs, 87 6.9s included - this to me says they must be reasonably confident the balance difference is pretty minimal otherwise they'd be setting themselves up for liability issues.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score

Here is what I just picked up. It is an AMS flywheel sold under New Generations name and part number 167325. This is for an 87 6.9l with a 5 speed. Discontinued in 2001

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good find. Hope it works well for you. As far as clutches I have a double sprung pressure plate and have not noticed any gear rollover.
Also buy this with the white seal on bottom. shifter boot
Another member recommended it for reducing noise and he was correct. I used the old t19 boot and sound dampening for a couple years. This is much better, although not period correct, but neither is the z5.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
And this is the 12'' clutch kit by "New Generation" that is said to mate to that flywheel I posted. I have the part number if someone is interested. In "may" be something available only in Canada.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well damn, the new clutch won't work with this ZF. The clutch has a 1" spline and of the ZF has the typical 1-1/4'' input shaft. That sure made my heart sink. Good thing I checked before attempting the job. I guess I ain't done my clutch search yet:rolleyes:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Correct clutch kit for the AMS 167325 SMF is AMS 07-131. Which is a 12'' clutch with the 1-1/4'' spline and all the dampening springs. Just got it in.

And the "New generation" product line seems to be selling AMS clutch/ flywheel produsts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online