6.9 vs. 7.3 electrical

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm progressing with my engine swap (85 6.9 into my 94), but running into a few problems. The electrical connectors on the two motors are totally different. The one on my old motor is kinda messed up, particularly the glowplug connectors are on their last legs, so I don't really want to put it on the 6.9, but could if I soldered on new glowplug connectors. Also the wiring harness on yhe 6.9 has spade type glowplug connectors, which won't fly with the round style on the berus I just put in. Any suggestions on how to remedy these problems? I have no problem splicing a different plug on or whatever, but unless the wires happen to be the same color it might be a risky trial and error. One more thing: my 94 gp controller is shot, as in clicking and smoking. I seem to remember reading that the newer style is better, is that right? I will be wiring it manually to a pushbutton either way.

Oh yeah, found out that the 6.9 had glowplugs stamped AC, I assume AC delco, and 4 out of 8 were bad. The WTS light still came on briefly though, and the motor fired up after only a second or two, after sitting two months, so with 8 berus in there hopefully things will be really good.

To more things... I am installing a real oil pressure gauge, and since I now have a turbo was going to use the plug right above the oil filter. Is the big one that faces the front of the motor, maybe 1/2" or so, the one that most use? Thats the only one I found that oil comes out of. Also, a real water temp gauge is in order, and was thinking of using a plug on the drivers side. Is any one better or more recommended than another? There are certainly enough of them, one in the head and a couple near the oil filter in the block.

Thanks.