6.9 Superduty

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High egt's and down on power. Did you set the timing? I don't know what kit you are running but that sounds to me like you may have a boost leak or something otherwise wrong in the turbo system. Intercooler would shave some EGT as well. With the Banks turbo kits I believe part of the directions in installation is to max the pump out. Something seems wrong to me but I'm certainly no expert.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IC will make a big difference with the high EGT's. A 4in dia exh system really does help uncork the truck too.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just from the research I have done (not actual experience) it would seem that you are showing signs of running lean. The egts seem high and the boost low which is often an indicator that the engine is asking for more fuel. I can dig up some post that would indicate this, but you are probably much more versed in this than myself so I will be standing by to see any results! ;) Peace

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out if curiosity what did you set the timing to? I was always told between 8.5-9.5 degrees before tdc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
where it's set has a fudge factor of +/- 2 deg. more importantly is when you put the timing gun on it, do you see the advance movement of at least 2-3* from idle to 2000 rpm.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the ideal timing on these engines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That answer varies quite a bit depending on who you ask and your configuration. I think the general accepted range is like 6-9.5 BTDC.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i would bump the timing up to 7 or 8 BTDC and turn the fuel up another flat if you don't have a boost leak/after you resolve your EGT issue.with steep gearing it should be fairly easy to keep EGT's in check without a maxed ip,light load.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know something is wrong when i see an 85 f250 IDI N/A on youtube grossing 34k and doing 15mph up a hill..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your cold advance is working you could try running a jumper to it and taking it down the road just see if the butt dyno notices a difference. With your timing that retarded, that sounds like a recipe for high egt's.