6.9 in 76??

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet yesterday i went to drop off 360 out of my 76 to get rebuilt to 390 specs and saw in corner of guys shop a 6.9 ,asked him about it someone droped it off a year ago paid to have it rebuilt and lowered compression and never picked it up, so for 1800 he will sell it to me or less? he said they lowered compression to 18.1 how will this start in the cold? should i buy this and put in my 76? how well will it run? this is a very good machine shop and he said he would warranty it for 2 years as long as i dont put any drugs to it. ;Sweet i am glad to have found thissite as fte and tds is lame.i have been reading post 4 a year as an employee showed me this site thanks.

MERRY CHRISTMAS HAPPY NEW YEAR

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Woo hoo!!! I'm planing to do the same thing to my '77, as well as convert it to a 4x4 :D

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot, I gotta find out what to do to deal with the front springs :( I got a feeling they will be mushey with a 6.9 atop them.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Gotta get wit IDIeselman as he has a 79 F-350 with a 6.9L. ;Sweet

Nice truck at that too.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could try springs for a truck with a 460,automatic with air conditioning

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: so will the lowered compression make it hard to start when cold?? also the guy at shop said it has special pump and injectors the guy brought in for it but doesnt remember what brand as its been ther for so long. what brand turbo should i put on it?? also need to find c6 and gv for a decent price, or should i use od auto? i am hoping the wieght will make it look lowered in front , this is going to be my personal work truck ,acountant said i can write off alot of the repairs that way woo woo. ;Sweet

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how relevent it would be to dropping it in a '76 but check out posts by AGNEM and his "Moosetang" project. He's dropped a 6.9 in a Bronco and dealt with spring issues etc etc. He definately could be a wealth of info for yah - he'll probably chime in soon or you can drop him a PM.

Sounds cool! :thumbsup:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pauls painting said:
:confused: so will the lowered compression make it hard to start when cold??
Yes. I'm not sure how bad it'll be, but there's a sound clip somewhere of a 6.9l being cold-started with the compression ratio lowered to 17:1. The 6.9l belongs to Ken (land_yaght), and even with ether and glow plugs being used, the engine took a LOT of cranking and still barely lit off.

Once she was warm, though... ;Sweet

rthomas

Reaction score
one thing id measure very carefully before you got to far into this is if the exhaust manifolds and oil cooler will clear the steering box, oh, and the 2wd are setup for a front sump oil pan. might be time to think about 4wd conversion on that too??

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of IDIeselmans truck. 1979 6.9L converted ;Sweet

Warden, If'n memory serves me right, talking to Ken this spring, that was a truck that he built as a puller.
I have it saved on the puter. It's a 1.46 mb file. Anyone want to host it?
Sounds sweet. ;Sweet

Last edited:

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the input you guys are diesel gods :hail . idieselmans 79 is too ;Sweet . would like to get some info from him for sure. as far as a 4x4 conversion if that is what it takes to do it then consider it done. my buddy is picking the truck up in am to do tilt front end . the machine shop guy called a little while ago and made a sweet deal to me on engine paint the outside of his shop for the engine so its going to cost me 2 guys labor for 1 day and 200$ in paint so for 6 bills its mine. ;Sweet :thumbsup: i have an atlas transfercase that i was going to put in 94 would that work behind a c6?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
Warden, If'n memory serves me right, talking to Ken this spring, that was a truck that he built as a puller.
I have it saved on the puter. It's a 1.46 mb file. Anyone want to host it?
Sounds sweet. ;Sweet
Ron E-mailed me the .wav file, and I have it up on my page now...

Take a look here:

http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/69at17compratio.wav

;Really

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this engine going to be that hard to start ? the machine shop owner told me that it has 19.1 compression ratio . he said it should have around 600 ft lbs torque, he is looking up all the paper work on what was done to it. he said it does need a good turbo , any 1 know where to get a used one? does the torque # sound right i would think it would be more . what does a stock 6.9 have?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this motor deal of yours smells like the previous person was talking to ken"land yacht" at DPS. don't have a linky to his site but google him and sure his site will pop up. He's the only guru I am aware of who does evil things with IDI's ;Sweet