6.9 idle question

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Mine was 500, the adjustment is easy, set it at 650 and you'll be happier. Especially with a manual tranny.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you getting the rpm? The stock tach is not reliable, especially at low rpms. I've seen many that read 300-500 rpm at idle and then are accurate over about 800 rpm.

Also, IIRC, idle speed is set internally in the pump. The stop screw on the pump lever is not supposed to be an idle adjust, it's the lower stop for the arm travel. Remember that the throttle arm doesn't directly control fuel injected, rather is loads a spring that connects to the fuel controls along with the governor.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, IIRC, idle speed is set internally in the pump. The stop screw on the pump lever is not supposed to be an idle adjust, it's the lower stop for the arm travel. Remember that the throttle arm doesn't directly control fuel injected, rather is loads a spring that connects to the fuel controls along with the governor.

The internal idle screw is to take up any slack in the idle spring at assembly. The external idle (stop) screw is used to set the idle RPM. If you still have the label on a valve cover it will indicate what the idle RPM should be set at, usually at 650 RPM.

Attachments

• DVC01381.JPG
    DVC01381.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell I just took a peak at my IP because mine idles around 900rpm and it doesn't even have the idle screw hahaha. Oh well guess that means no tinkering for today

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
And for the record I don't think my cold idle thing or whatever you guys were talking about is working haha. Or my glow plugs either. Because on a warm day (80 degrees) when I start the truck, it'll lope like its cold for a few seconds. Then i'll give it a little throttle and it'll smooth out once its warm. I know the glow plugs stay on after the truck is started to warm the fuel so that must mean I have no glow plug power.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
So I just went out and turned that screw to the right and got my idle set at 650. Seems to have a touchier gas pedal now and it seems to have fixed my low oil pressure gauge!! Oil pressure used to drop off the table at idle but now it sits right in the middle of L and H. :)