6.9 IDI into 83 Chevy K30

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
Just weighing the pros and cons of this pipe dream. I'm looking to adapt the IDI to the TH400 by means of adapter plates. I have access to a cnc bridgeport so making what I need for that aint the end of the world. Just wondering about oil pan mods and exhaust clearance I noticed there is a member on this board that has a 6.9 in a 2WD chevy and I'd search & pm, but the search feature sucks on my blackberry. And my internets will be down for a while.

Thanks all,
Gary

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, looking to do the almost same thing. The oilpans on the 6.9's are reversible, so you can have a couple different configurations for clearance there, and the swap would be much easier into a lifted 4x4. A guy that I know has put a 7.3 into a square body chevy says it is a tight fit but will work.

The reliability of the NA 6.9l IH diesels have been unmatched by any other diesel motor I can find, except for maybe the Cummins, but I don't have the deep pockets needed for the Cummins. You can pick these motors up for next to nothing and usually the truck is falling apart around the motor, so they are a dime a dozen in perfect operating condition, well close to perfect. I see a lot more broke 6.2/6.5's in the junkyard and have yet to find one broke 6.9, which I think all the broke 6.2's and 6.5's is because people try to turbo the snot out of them, when that is not what they were designed for.

Think you would be better off going to a zf5 or something like that, but if you have the access to a machine shop, the sky is the limit with what mods you can do.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
No need to reverse the pan, there's enough room. It actually fit pretty well and with a 4x4 should drop in with no issues.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to reverse the pan, there's enough room. It actually fit pretty well and with a 4x4 should drop in with no issues.

Read through your whole thread BTW and you did a terrific job. I dunno if I have the "guts" to try a swap like that though, I sure would like a 6.9, but that is a big project for me.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 6.9 strictly to see about running wmo, I have had some success so now the plan is to put the 6.9 in my beloved 67 chevy 1ton that sits on a 2wd 1ton frame. I want to keep my org 4 speed, I think I use a t19 bell housing? notch the frame on pass side and slap motor in, as if was that easy.