6.9 heads

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a set of 6.9 heads locally (locally meaning 4 hours away). The owner claims they were rebuilt. However he has no photos, and they've been sitting for a while. He also doesn't know if the heads were decked.

What's the most y'all would pay for something like this

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats difficult to say without seeing them and measuring them. The head thickness oem specs is 4.795 to 4.805 thick. The valves depth in the seats is intake 0.042 to 0.054 and the exhaust is measured 0.051 to 0.063 deep in the heads. These measurements are critical for good reason. Our heads are flat. The only thing that keeps the valves from hitting the pistons is the thickness of the head gasket compressed. and thats around 0.042. Not much more than the gap on a spark plug. But a miss is as good as a mile I guess.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
PM sent. Another item about the early 6.9 heads. They tend to crack easily so they are avoided most of the time. I know the casting serial numbers have been posted on this forum before but I can't locate them right now. maybe someone else will be able to. As for precup recession or protrusion that measurement is 0.0025 plus or minus the head surface. Or above or below the head surface 2 1/2 thousands. Also we can run them with cracks just as long as the cracks don't run thru the fire ring area. But having no cracks is a much better idea. Someone posted a few weeks back that these precups were no longer offered from Ford but didn't mention International. I'm sure they are made some place because the new heads have new precups in them so somebody is making them...