6.9 fuel route and return questions

Motorhead6.9

Reaction score
Hey new to this forum (hopefully posting in the right spot) trying to convert to veggie and had some questions about how diesel is routed from the diesel tank to the ip and how its returned. So on the stock diesel fuel filter there is a line traveling from the filter to the return line coming off the number 1 injector and I'm wondering what to do with it to prevent cross contamination of fuels. In a diagram for the fuel system it showed fuel flowing from the filter thru the line to the return like an overflow for what the IP didn't need, is this what its really doing?

inside the return lines how does fuel actually get back to the tank is it actually being pumped back to the tank, reason being is the wvo tank is elevated above the engine and im wondering if I set up a return will the unused wvo make it back to the tank?

What is the best way to tap into the fuel system before the IP for the fuel selector solenoid? cutting the metal fuel line, connections/fittings?

Where do i tap into the engine coolant to feed hot coolant to the coolant heated wvo filter and tank pick up?

Any pictures, diagrams, info and advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many of your questions can be better answered in the bio fuel forum found here. About the return lines setup. Its a gravity feed back to the tanks but I'm sure it will be able to flow into the bed mounted tank too. As for that line off the filter feed line to the injection pump. Thats only there to vent any trapped air in the filter. It flows out only. As for the line off the top of the injection pump it only flows out of the pump. This fuel was used for lube and cooling of the injection pump and any shutting down of the flow will stop the engine. The way these pumps work is shutting down the flow out of the top of the pump stops flow to the injectors. Now those return lines on each injector are there for cooling and they return to each tank thru a fuel tank switching valve. This is where you may have a issue with the bio fuel returning to the bio tank. You are going to need some switching valves to be able to run diesel and bio. All that can be found in the bio fuel section. Welcome to the best idi forum on the web. We don't beat up any newbies just because they come here asking questions. We do try to leave our egos at the door too. this is a family site too with severl complete familys contributatiing all the time.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have two diesel fuel tanks and a wvo tank in the bed? If so that will take some different valving than you presently have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger