6.9 conversion in the Bronco

pafixitman

Reaction score
BigNorm said:
There's alot of those in the wheelin' community as well. I don't really have a set group I go with. I'd like to have a group of mature adults who enjoy wheeling and fabrication that don't need to become drunks to have a good time. I don't want to lable the whole. It's the few that give it a bad rep. :draw

Guess that means you are getting an IDI and joining us in the basement! :thumbsup: :D

Mel, ya missed the stupid duty w/ a 24V - on the rollers as we were getting ready to leave.

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to if it weren't such a Behomoth. I'm trying to find something light, yet functional.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the detroit I mentioned is the 6.2L found in the chevys. Ive wanted to swap one in my bronco for quite a while. I think one would work better for wheelin, only because of the reduced weight over the 6.9/7.3

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
For a couple of other options, this guy in Canada is selling some south american International diesels that might work nicely in a bronco,
http://www.obwcanada.com/services.html
he's got a 2.8l that seems to work nicely in that size vehicle, and he's got a 4.2l straight 6 job that puts out around 185 hp and weighs about 400 pounds less than a 7.3 . Those 6 cyl engines are factory option in the rest of the world for new ford trucks, the 2.8 is factory optionfor f 150 in the rest of the world. the 6 has no computer controls, I think the 4 is the same

If I were feeling rich, I'd get one of those 6 cyl for my f350, but the price is out of range right now It looks like a pretty sweet engine

---------Robert

tractorman86

Reaction score
Black dawg said:
the detroit I mentioned is the 6.2L found in the chevys. Ive wanted to swap one in my bronco for quite a while. I think one would work better for wheelin, only because of the reduced weight over the 6.9/7.3
cookoo the reduced weight might be nice but therein lies another compromise. i have heard nothing good about these motors, even from chevy guys :puke: , they say that they have no longevity.
although i am a diehard believer in the 7.3 idi, i would have to say go with the 4bt, 7.3/6.9's are just flat out too heavy!!
good luck and post pics of the instal! :thumbsup:

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL said:
For a couple of other options, this guy in Canada is selling some south american International diesels that might work nicely in a bronco,
http://www.obwcanada.com/services.html
he's got a 2.8l that seems to work nicely in that size vehicle, and he's got a 4.2l straight 6 job that puts out around 185 hp and weighs about 400 pounds less than a 7.3 . Those 6 cyl engines are factory option in the rest of the world for new ford trucks, the 2.8 is factory optionfor f 150 in the rest of the world. the 6 has no computer controls, I think the 4 is the same

If I were feeling rich, I'd get one of those 6 cyl for my f350, but the price is out of range right now It looks like a pretty sweet engine

---------Robert
Thank you for the link. I sent him an email so hopefully I'll get some information on the 2.8L soon. I like the look of the 2.8. It's cool that it comes as a factory option in Brazil Which should mean the appropriate bracketry and motor mounts should be able to be had. I know you guys are probably thinking I'm insane for wanting such a small motor but remember that I'm building to cruise offroad at 5mph or less. Street performance is always secondary and really is only a means of getting me to the trailhead. I don't know how durable these things are but hopefully I'll get some answers soon, including how much it would cost to get one delivered to my door. Take Care guys. Thank you for all your help!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
BigNorm said:
Thank you for the link. I sent him an email so hopefully I'll get some information on the 2.8L soon. I like the look of the 2.8. It's cool that it comes as a factory option in Brazil Which should mean the appropriate bracketry and motor mounts should be able to be had. I know you guys are probably thinking I'm insane for wanting such a small motor but remember that I'm building to cruise offroad at 5mph or less. Street performance is always secondary and really is only a means of getting me to the trailhead. I don't know how durable these things are but hopefully I'll get some answers soon, including how much it would cost to get one delivered to my door. Take Care guys. Thank you for all your help!

It's amazing how much those little 2.8put out. That little 4.2 puts out as much as our 7.3's

---------Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but at what RPM, and where does the torque curve max out at?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've got the specs around here somewhere, but thy run in about the same RPM range as our 7.3's, Gearing should be the same.

------Robert

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does the 6.9L weigh exactly? You've all got good things to say about it. Maybe it's still an option. How high will it rev? Can a donor vehicle be found cheap?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
900 LB range, good for 35-3700 RPM with a stock pump(mine pulls 3700 no problem) and donor vehicles are pretty easy to come by, I picked up the truck that donated the chassis and drivetrain to my diesel for $300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online