6.5 turbo into a 6.2??????

BIGDIG

Body by Michelob
Reaction score
A friend has a military hummer with the 6.2 and wants me to find out if a turbo from a 6.5 will fit???
what mods need to be done to make it work.....?
:thanks:

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BIGDIG
A friend has a military hummer with the 6.2 and wants me to find out if a turbo from a 6.5 will fit???
what mods need to be done to make it work.....?
:thanks:

Sure it can - He'll need the intake and exhust manifolds and Turbo - I'm pretty sure the manifolds will bolt up to 6.2 heads. But my next obvious question is "Why?"

For around $2000 (At least in these parts...) you can get a Banks Sidewinder Turbo Kit - Bigger turbo, no waste gate, and no-guess instructions... I had one on my '82 K5 6.2 - woke it right up... It still wasnt a rocket, but it had a lot more power than without the huffer... I havent been onder the hood on a Hummer, and I'm guessing you'd have to figure out some things like air cleaner mounting, but hopefully everything else would fit.

The Banks Sidewinder on my 82 was supposed to put out 215hp @ 450 ft/lbs - I never dynoed it, but it would get 10psi boost when fully loaded. I was able to easily trounce my brothers 93 Dodge CTD with it.

BIGDIG

Body by Michelob
Reaction score
Thanks Russ,as soon as I can reach him I'll tell him.We never thought about the side winder kit,I'll tell him.Since you've never looked under the hood of a military hummer,theres not much room.with all the 24vt bull and radio harnesses and all .the air filter is big,if its removed he will heve lots of room,one thing is its also equiped with a fording kit,so to make all the parts work might take some thinkin but were pretty crafty when it comes to bribeing the motorpool guys for spare parts:drunk: I'll let you know what come up
again thanks for the help.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to be of some help... I might drive a Dodge... but I'm really a Chevy fanatic... Always have been and always will be...

6.2 wasnt a bad motor... but I lusted for a Cummins...

turbokid

Reaction score
I'm not positive, but from my old days on The Diesel Page, it seems like the hummer had to have a different turbo setup because of the clearance issues. Although I may be incorrect. I know the 6.5 turbo can be put on a 6.2 in the pickup, with some clearance issues that can be resolved around the condenser housing area.

I agree though, that if the sidewinder kit will fit in the hummer, go for it! I had one in my truck when I had a 6.2 in it... it definitely woke it up!
I did an engine rebuild the same time I put the turbo on, the thing is, the thing only went 400 miles before it grenaded. Big chunk out of the block, couple holes in the pan, crank slightly bent and really scored, couple rods broken, etc.
(Although I think that may have been because one rod nut might not have been torqued all the way, although I swear I did.)

Thats when I went to the Isuzu. :Thumbs Up :cool

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be easier to find a 6.5TD and swap the whole motor, wouldnt it?

BIGDIG

Body by Michelob
Reaction score
Yeah,but when you can get 6.2 engine parts for free,or a little bribe with:drunk: -Showtits ,it's not worth it...but if the turbo will fit the 6.2,then we can make it fit into the hummer,firewall,who needs a stinkin firewall..

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any space to fit that sidewinder in a van with a 6.2?

Mark

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
girl mark said:
Is there any space to fit that sidewinder in a van with a 6.2?

Mark
I seriously doubt the room availible in the van. Honestly guys, I don't think the hummer has much room either. I has some fun putting in a '85pu and used a '93 6.5td out of a pu and put it in where the '85 6.2na used to go. It was a bolt-in except for the sharp 90deg exhaust outlet right above the pass. side frame.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on the turbo'ing a Hummer.....
Got a chance to take a look at a TD Hummer today. You are gonna need to find a blown up unit to make it work. Exh. manifolds, up pipe, turbo and brackets, intake manifold are completely different from the PU and the mounting location of the turbo is too. Everything is a VERY TIGHT FIT!!!! Those boys in the motorpool have their work cut out when having to do anything short of a powerplant pull.

DBogo

Reaction score
the turbo and manifolds and everything else that you need for the top (or rear i can remember what it is) mount turbo is also used in the vans that had the 6.5td they both use the same mount turbo so you can use all the parts off of it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online