6.5 died

B

Big K

Friend's 6.5 died the other day. Broken valve springs, had it towed in for repair. Minute cracks in heads, and some other issues. Have not had the opportunity to talk to him in depth. He's not much of a gearhead anyway.

Bottom line, however, is that the truck has 300+ on the clock w/no major repairs:eek:

I would not have thought so, but is this common for the 6.5/auto? The truck is pretty much falling apart at this point but has run well up 'til now.

White Ram

Reaction score
It is not normal, my brothers 6.5 is a total POS. He is waiting for the new LLY maxi-pad. He is a city boy and said my truck is too much of a truck and is going to stick to GM.

He has been stranded in just about every western state, and BC.
On Monday he just put in set number 4 maybe 5 of batteries. He also did glow plugs, and his second windshield wiper control computer.

What I know of:
New Turbo
Head gasket
drivers seat electric motor/control ($400)
exhaust system
AC compressor
2 computers that control the fueling system

did I mention how many times he was standed?

The transmission is ready to crap out, I have not talked to him since Monday but if the glow plugs are not the fix they/he figures that it is the injection pump.

all of this in 160,000 miles

Because of his POS and GM's crappy warranty issue with my new 350 gas motor I had my certified mechanic friend put in, I barely even looked at a GM product.When I bought new.

I love my Dodge/ Cummins

steve

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a friend with a good running 6.2 with over 250K miles on it. I'll bet it depends on how well you baby them. My old 6.2 had over 160K when it blew a head gasket and I rebuilt it. Still running today @ over 250K total miles.

B

Big K

Update.

Auto was rebuilt @ 92k, due to twisted off input shaft. GM acknowledged problem, but "tuff nuts", owner paid for fix. approx. 330k on the clock now, to be closer to precise.

Otherwise no other issues. Engine don't look so good.

He's lookin' @ '04 CTD's :D :D

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this should be in battlegrounds. Why do the Dodge guys come into a GM specific area to start ****? Maybe the 6.5 wasnt the best diesel ever made, but it will do anything a CTD from the same age will do. Since they stopped putting them in pickups about the time the diesel performance rage got going, they missed out on a lot of the aftermarket goodies. So yeah, I'll admit that you can make more horsepower with a CTD if you build it, but thats not really a fair comparison is it? As far as longevity, everyone knows of a guy who had a lemon POS, doesnt mean they are all bad. Just like the Dodges. I have towed a hundred of them back to the dealer for fuel pumps and trannies, etc. Doesnt mean theyre all junk. Just the ones I've seen. I like Cummins motors, but I could never bring myself to buy one because it is trapped inside a Chrysler product that I know firsthand to be unreliable. Admit it, if it wasnt for the Cummins motor nobody would even buy a Dodge truck. Chevy's are more reliable, better looking and ride better. Mines got over 120k with the original tranny, motor and turbo and I beat the **** out it. And it starts better in the cold. So there. take your best shot.

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say over 300,000 and no engine trouble he is due for something. The heads are prone to cracks but most of the time are just there and cause no trouble. The 6.5 will last 300,000 easy enough if you maintain it and don't beat it to the ground. As far as the Dodge guys go, there info is as reliable as a Chrlysler product could be, not very

rubberfish

Reaction score
Originally posted by DetroitDan
Admit it, if it wasnt for the Cummins motor nobody would even buy a Dodge truck. Chevy's are more reliable, better looking and ride better.

Here here:Thumbs Up :cheers:

MUDDY

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,someone who drives a different brand than u do has a legitimate discusion regarding a gm product and ya want to have the thread moved into the battleground section. ***. are us dodge guys not allowed to participate in the gm section :(

MUDDY

Reaction score
Originally posted by DetroitDan
this should be in battlegrounds. Why do the Dodge guys come into a GM specific area to start ****? Maybe the 6.5 wasnt the best diesel ever made, but it will do anything a CTD from the same age will do. Since they stopped putting them in pickups about the time the diesel performance rage got going, they missed out on a lot of the aftermarket goodies. So yeah, I'll admit that you can make more horsepower with a CTD if you build it, but thats not really a fair comparison is it? As far as longevity, everyone knows of a guy who had a lemon POS, doesnt mean they are all bad. Just like the Dodges. I have towed a hundred of them back to the dealer for fuel pumps and trannies, etc. Doesnt mean theyre all junk. Just the ones I've seen. I like Cummins motors, but I could never bring myself to buy one because it is trapped inside a Chrysler product that I know firsthand to be unreliable. Admit it, if it wasnt for the Cummins motor nobody would even buy a Dodge truck. Chevy's are more reliable, better looking and ride better. Mines got over 120k with the original tranny, motor and turbo and I beat the **** out it. And it starts better in the cold. So there. take your best shot.

you can tell me your church is the only true church also. it dont make it so

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, but I don't go into your church and try to convert people, or tell everyone why your church is no good, now do I? you used the words "legitimate" and "participate". I was referring to white ram who had nothing constructive to add except for GM-bashing. Sure, Dodge guys are welcome, but I think many of you just come here cruising thru like a shark looking for a meal, and when someone voices a concern about their GM product having a problem, then they pounce, belittling the brand because an owner had a problem. Maybe I should start hitting the Dodge forums so I can find things Dodge owners have problems with, then I can lash out at them for having a POS. Tell me that isnt what happened.

MUDDY

Reaction score
looks as if whiterams bro didnt have the greatest of luck w/ a particular rig, and he just mentioned some of the probs in his post. doubting intentonal bashing. thanks for sharing steve. i could speak of the bs probs my fords gave me. i wouldnt define as bashing.just expierience. same with why id never own a 88 or newr chev.... ifs. wouldnt be bashing. ifs has disadvantages. aint for me. not for heavy use or mud/snow/sagebrush.
nuff said on that subj. as to the anti dc statments,,,,,,,,dude, u be out of line with many of your comments. dodge makes a dang good pckge. heck,,,even b4 u could get one w/ a cummins they were good trucks. im proud to have had many.[also had ford,chev, and j series trucks]got better service from the dodges.as a bonus the cummins just makes it that much more bettr. now the liftpumps in 98.5 thru 02,,,,,,,,,yep,,,a bit of a prob. but those folks who study these forums will know ya just add a guage and monitor them suckerz. if ya wanna go back to late 70s,,ya had that brainbox bs and had to carry spare. fords had same prob just not as widespread.

as to us coming here cruzin in like a shark,,,,,,i wouldnt say so. seems as if most herre are decent and helpful even to those who drive a different brand. myself,,,,,,,,i can never se myself drvin anything but a ctd ram,,,,,unless its a ctd mdt. but i still like learnin bout the other brands of diesel pickups

Last edited:

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me 1st say, I enjoy the shark attacks on the GM. Yes I think whiteram is just throwing out his second hand useless info. He has not owned one, maintained one or anything. He has seen one fail and now deems the whole line junk. Then to make him self feel better about buying the most problematic truck on the road, he claims his brother says the Dodge is to much of a truck.
I knew the old IFS debate would come out. I own one and have done more commercial plowing since 88 with the IFS than most on this board. I think the IFS has more advantages for a street/work truck than the solid axle design. It does not articulate as well, but a 3/4 or 1 ton truck does not articulate well anyways. It comes down to opinion, yours is worth no more than mine.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you're gonna run huge tires and off road heavily, there is no advantage to having a live axle front end on a modern truck. I used to hate IFS and swear by my live axles, but I've come to realize that the IFS now a solid reliable front end. I had a 89 Z71 that I sold in six weeks because I HATED the ride and handling of the IFS front end. I went back to a live axle for several years. I think the 1 ton must be a lot stiffer because I love how my 97 rides. Live axles are strong, but even so they require a lot of maintenance. I used to do axleshaft u-joints every year, plowed all winter and ran big tires in the summer. The truck I have now is still turning the original axle/CV shafts in the front (original balljoints, too. how bout that Ford guys?) Granted, I dont plow with this truck, but I don't see why it wouldnt work better and last longer than a straight axle. Sage brush isnt a huge problem here, but I think my CV boots are reasonably well protected. Pretty much all the 4x4 atvs are using them now, seems to work ok in the rough stuff. Anybody remember how the front axles used to practically fall out of the 94-95 Rams? Id put my IFS through any heavy use you could do with your Dodge, and my Chevy would handle it. No question about it. Hell, I'll even put a slide in camper on and we can go 4 wheeling thru the sage brush together.

White Ram

Reaction score
Wow, I did not mean to start a ******* contest here!

Yes my brothers 6.5 is a POS and I know of a few others that are a POS. People will tend to always tell you about a bad experience with a vehicle or service at a restaruant. But they generally don't go out and tell you about good vehicle or service.

My comments came from my disgust with his vehicle, I have been stranded with him and have had to go get him a few of those times. If you can get 300,000 out of any vehicle with little to no problem you are doing good. My brothers problems started back under warranty and have continued. The complaint is not about lack of power but about dependabilty and reliability.

If my Dodge left my stranded (in BFE or out on vacation, real nice way to ruin a vacation) once it would be bad but hey mechanical things break, get it fixed and go on. It strands my twice or more shame on me and I'm going to start looking for a new vehicle.

He is no where near as upset about GM as I am, did you notice that he is trying to keep his 6.5 together for a few weeks/months until the LLY Duramax shows up. GM lost me as a customer with the piston slap issue on my 91 pick-up. When the motor died I spent the extra money for a GM motor as opposed the local engine rebuild shops. I sent in my warranty paper work, no phone calls no letters nothing about my warranty being voided from day one. I had my mechanic friend put the motor in for me (yes he has certifications up the butt,new oil pump, radiator, thermostat, water pump and other stuff), the problem was the 'shop is not open to the general public.' So no warranty. I find this out at about 35,000 miles when the head gasket blows, the motor was never overheated. I call GM they say it is covered, so mechanic friend says have the local shop do it, if it is under warranty, I don't have time now. Local shop does the work and then GM said 'oops did not realize but no warranty.' I'm not buying GM anything until Dodge, Ford and who ever else is after them **** me off. My guess GM won't see any more of my money for about 20 years or more.

I did not mention IFS my brother does not like the ride of my truck, in his opinion and more importantly his wifes opinion, they think my Dodge rides like crap. Does that make them wrong? I contend not, that is there opinion. I also have to admit that the GM does ride better going down the road, off road my Dodge can cause you to need some medical care. My new dodge 1-ton dually rides better than my old (91) Chevy 3/4. So I did not and do not mind the ride of my truck. I suppose that if I went from a newer GM to a new Dodge I would not like the thing. If you went from a 62 whatever into my Dodge you would be happy. If you went from the same 62 whatever to a GM I'm sure you thought that you were in a Cadilac.

Joey, BTW I have maintained my old Chevy and my new Dodge. Along with my cars prior to those, and helped my brother do thing to his vehicle.

Sorry to have ruffled so many feathers, can we talk about religion, abortion, or gun control perhaps so many people won't be so angry.

steve
:sorry:

B

Big K

Don't sweat it, Steve. The only bashin' goin on here is by others. I asked an honest and legitimate question, and some folks answered with honest responses.

Guys, go get your ******* in a bunch in the battleground. There is no reason to move this thread, but if there was, it would be because you created said reason.

I didn't get this kind of response over in the Ford forum, where I asked about a possible problem with lifted PSD's, after spending a Saturday fixing my neighbor's. I just wanted some feedback, and to make others aware that I had seen a problem, so they could keep an eye out for themselves.

Don't read more into things than exists, and thereby start the argument. It's just not necessary. One of the things I like about this site is the existance of the Ford and Chevy forums. My knowledge about the other brands is limited, and I look forward to learning some here.