6.5 deg BTDC vs. 8.5 deg BTDC

FordGuy100

Reaction score
RSDSL and I came up with the spec. I believe it was just a simple matter of different cetane ratings for the older diesel vs the newer diesel using a MB manual showing the different timing specs for different cetane ratings. The newer diesel takes slightly longer to reach auto ignition, meaning you should inject it earlier (more advanced).

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
So does a 19mm. The wrench you want is the one to loosen the nuts that hold the pump in place. Not sure where to get that one. Better ask Gary.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does a 19mm. The wrench you want is the one to loosen the nuts that hold the pump in place. Not sure where to get that one. Better ask Gary.

Most actually just grind down a wrench to fit and heat/bend accordingly...

It's what I did and have seen done...

In my Kent Moore J33300 meter I keep 3 wrenches the ground 9/16" a 5/8" and a 3/4" all for tuning these trucks. Next I'll add two turn buckles and Jason's pump turning wrench! Then my timing/tune-up kit is complete

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I think one method reads ATDC (lumi) and the other reads BTDC. The lumi method I'd based more off of the ignition of the fuel which is dependent on specific cetane ratings, which vary by fuel supplier. So taking that into consideration, it may be very difficult to get an accurate reading with the lumi method.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The lumi method requires the fuel to be known for cetane and specific gravity for the lumi timing to be correct. the pulse clamp timing method is always the same. It reads the pressure spike in the hard lines when the pump pushes fuel thru the already full and pressureized hard lie. the pressure does not drop to zero lbs when there is no fuel being pumped thru the line between cylinders. Its not at pop pressure all the time but it sure is not at zero either. The pulse method of timing is much easier than the luminosity timing method because all you do is connect the meter IF.. you probe locations are clean. Otherwise clean off the locations. Mel's trick learned from many years of doing the timing clinics at all the idi rallies is to place a wrap of electrical tape on the injector hard line so rust does not corrode the bare metal line. then next timing event all you do is remove the tape and apply the clamp. Do replace the tape after the timing is done so your ready for the next timing event down the road..

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Dave...its collapsible. When not extended its not much longer then the otc tool. I can make a shorty wrench too with out the extension for a van.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lumi reads after ignition and a flame front has been created which is a few degrees of timing after is has been injected. Pulse measures the pressure spike at injection.