6.5 buildup

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 6.5 with 150k running, no smoke, from a 97 silverado. I also have a military hummer pump, and a wastegate spring control from the same. The idea is to "egr delete plate already made". I have the seal/engine gasket set, new glow plugs, and a new water pump. Some questions, what are the goodies to install, thermostat waterpump etc. or other things to take into consideration for making a long lived 6.5 This isn't going to be a powerhouse, or a drag or even pulling truck, shoot, I haven't even figured out what truck I'm going to put it into. I may have a 4 speed trans, from a c30 lying about that can be used, and I still have an np205 divorced lying around from another project, so maybe I'll make a 4x4 c30, but we'll see.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've heard there's a aftermarket cam available.

What happened to the PSD you bought awhile back? (Or was that someone else?)

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I've heard there's a aftermarket cam available.

Believe it or not, the Typ4 cam was actually designed for a gm diesel. It was the concept that was adapted and brought over to IH diesels.

I like the power and performance I get out of the 6.2 in my old pickup. I have the non-sensor IP, head studs, 6.5 marine injectors, a gm-8 turbo setup, and a fresh set of gaskets on everything. The only thing I didn't do that I wanted to was put a Typ4 cam into mine. Also, if you want to help your 6.5 out, find a dual-thermostat water neck and install it. They help a lot.