6.2 turning over, but not starting.

Reaction score
My aircraft tug recently made it home and will not start? From what I hear, it does turn over though. So, what would cause this? I know, I know, that is a pretty vague question. But I am only looking for any common problems I should look for. I will be home on R&R hopefully soon and I do not want to spend a lot of time on this. To my understanding, if the engine turns over and is getting fuel it should start. Am I correct, or is there more to it with these old 6.2’s?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
The timing needs to be right as well. It could be out of time, and the injectors could be worn too. Also, lack of compression can stop it from starting, so you might need to run a compression test.

Reaction score
This is the engine on my Chevy tugger. It looks clean, but I know that is no indication of how well it is working. I have never even touched one of these engines. Does everything appear to be in place?

Attachments

• Tugger engine 1.jpg
    Tugger engine 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Tugger engine 2.jpg
    Tugger engine 2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Tugger engine 3.jpg
    Tugger engine 3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 9
  • Tugger engine 4.jpg
    Tugger engine 4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 18

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I couldn't tell ya. I'm not a 6.2 guru, haven't looked at one of those motors in well over 10 years. I was just thinking along normal IDI behavior

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. I will have to figure out how to check the timing on one of these engines when I get home. I have heard that is a some what common problem with the timing chain getting slack.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
compression and fuel is all these IDI's need. You need to be able to spin up the motor to make compression, and fuel delivery to make it happen. make sure you have 12v going to the pump, the terminal closest to you needs to be lit up. crack loose the injector lines to make sure you have fuel getting to the injectors. last week I was working on a 6.2 with a modified fuel filtering system. the way this guy had it routed, the whole system was airlocked. I finally got the system to purge by loosening up the line going into the Ip. Once the electric fuel pump purged the fuel lines, the whole truck was good to go;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's two. the first one is that silver colored "brick" on the firewall next to the HVAC housing. the second is on the intake manifold.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Are you getting power to the GPs? does the light come on? The glow plug light is wired directly to the GP circuit so if the light comes on you have power to the plugs, but you could have a few bad plugs Does it spin over fast? these 6.2 turn over fairly quick with a healthy starter. Also are you hold the throttle down 1/2 way or all the way when turning over.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
here is a few things to answer both of your post..
starter bolt breaking is caused by the starter bracket missing (I have 4 6.2's non have it)

first thing before wasting money on this 6.2 not starting is...
1 turn key on go the the injector pump and un plug the fuel selnoid wire you should here a click if not that mean you not getting jucie to the flapper and the truck will never get fuel... if you here a click then proceed to #2 (also when turning on the switch did the glow plugs cycl.?)

2 if getting power to the IP and glow plugs crack a injector line and turn over getting fuel?? if no fuel the go down to
the fuel pump take the line that goes to the fuel filter getting fuel? ...

if you are getting fuel to the IP and fire to the GP and still no start then start pulling GP to make sure they are good...

I tried once for a hour to start a 6.2 without the gp hooked up would never start with 2 hot battery's and two trucks jumping it.... hot wired the GP and 2 minutes later she was purring...

Reaction score
Thanks. That is some great information.

I am home right now and the truck was running when I got here. A freind decided to make it a surprise. It has new brand new batteries and runs perfect. This is an awsome truck. We have been using it today to move heavy stuff around the yard. First thing in the morning we are using it to load a 3\4 ton Chevy on out frlat bed trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online