6.2 to 6.5 any visible differences

johnkracing

Reaction score
I may go look at a 96 diesel dually only thing is ad says mech ip, being the way I am I suspect it may be a 6.2 with the turbo from the original engine put on. Is there a quick way to determine which it is? other than that seems like a reasonable deal that I would like to capitalize on.

Thanks in advance.
John.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
non-turbo 6.2 won't have the oil feed port for the turbo at the front of the block. if it is a 6.2 transplant, the mech will have to get creative.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
All 6.5's are mechanical injection. The only difference is if they have the optical sensor or not, and those should be all 6.5's from 94-ish on up. And those engines using an optical sensor have PMD's to control the fuel through the IP. But it's still mechanical.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All 6.5's are mechanical injection. The only difference is if they have the optical sensor or not, and those should be all 6.5's from 94-ish on up. And those engines using an optical sensor have PMD's to control the fuel through the IP. But it's still mechanical.
if I understand correctly, he's trying to say the seller is making a point that the DS4 system has been dumped for a simpler DS2 system. what he the buyer is concerned with is he wants to make sure that is the only thing that was done.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
That would make more sense then. I was getting the impression that the seller was making a big deal out of it being mechanical/indirect injection rather than electrical/direct.