6.2 overall health diagnosis

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
My wife has the Snail: Tatonka Products Bummer body on 1986 K-5 Blazer running gear (6.2/TH700). The IP and all 8 injectors have been replaced, engine never rebuilt & has about 210,000 miles on it. I have a GM truck manual, but it doesn't have anything on the 6.2 in it...so I'm asking here.

On a 1986 6.2 Detroit, what are the specs for cranking compression and oil pressure?

Assuming it's healthy overall...any ideas for turbocharging it? :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you're over 300 psi evenly, it's good. if you're at a even 400 psi, that's great.
i suggest looking for a Banks kit and finding a Te06H turbo off a 6.9/7.3 idi to wake up the whole mess.
I've done two of these conversions and it's a night and day difference between what Banks origianlly supplied and the conversion.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Blarg. Did the checks yesterday...compression is fairly even in all 8, but here are the numbers...
Left bank, F to R: 290, 288, 291, 276
Right bank, same: 287, 279, 290, 271

I think the rings are on their way out. :(

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're still pretty even across the board, that's a good sign. I'd say running as a NA vehicle you'll have a bit of time before you'll have to re-ring.

Well, providing something unexpected happens. But that's life.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Update: With 49-degree outside temps, the Blazer flat wouldn't start without being plugged in this morning. Not wanting to ether it, Liz took her Grand National to work (terrible sacrifice, I know)...after the block heater ran an hour and a half, the engine popped easily, though with the same blue/white cloud it has always emitted. I took it to go shopping and it ran fine. (Though I think it's time to put the hardtop on, that soft top has zero insulation value.)

I asked Liz about oil consumption...she said it used oil, and told me to dig her maintainence/fuel log out of the console. The result isn't promising...near as I can tell, it's using a quart of oil (15W-40) about every 800-1000 miles & the rate seems to be increacing. Yep, I think the rings are going south. :(

So...if we're going through the monumental task of an engine swap, I want to upgrade. I have a friend who can get into auctions (his brother works at a dealer), what should I tell him I need him to find?